Camo pattern for Idaho mullie hunt.

Discussion in 'Backpacking Gear & Clothing' started by Kaboom, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Kaboom

Kaboom Well-Known Member

I'm going on a mule deer hunt in the mountains of Idaho. What camo color/pattern would you recommend getting? Thanks for you help.

2. ssssnake529

ssssnake529 Well-Known Member

Depends on where you will be. Northern Idaho is pretty green.

Honestly, I don't think camo patterns make much of a difference for the most part.

Mike 338 and rfurman24 like this.
  3. Kaboom

Kaboom Well-Known Member

Around Challis

4. Andrew Massi

Andrew Massi Active Member

Blue jeans and Flannel.
    Save the camo for archery and just wear high quality(tough) comfortable and warm. I prefer layering systems

5. Peddler 76

Peddler 76 Well-Known Member

We have an old saying in the Adirondacks, ABC! Anything But Cotton. Merino Wool, regular wool and there are tons of synthetics.

Hand Skills and ssssnake529 like this.
  6. gillettehunter

gillettehunter Well-Known Member

Lower down is lots of sagebrush. Higher some aspen but more evergreen. I'd suggest washing in a non UV soap and almost any pattern would be GTG.
    Bruce

ssssnake529 likes this.
  7. codyadams

codyadams Well-Known Member

Rifle hunting?? If the deer see you and can tell the difference between mossy oak and cabelas, or any other camo manufacturers for that matter, the deer your after should already be dead. I killed my high county buck this year wearing blaze orange hat, tan shirt and blue jeans. Dont sweat the small stuff ha ha, just wear what is comfortable.

Unless your talking archery.....that is a different story ha ha.

wbm and ssssnake529 like this.
  8. Backcountry_IDN

Backcountry_IDN Well-Known Member

I hunt challis every so often for deer. Ton of sage brush but also timber patches. For rifle season which I'm guessing that's what you'll be doing, I would go with something like kryptek highlander or sitka waterfowl pattern. Thats what I'll be in this season for deer is kryptek highlander.

But in all honesty, rifle season for deer in open/closed country like challis area, you could go in like people have said above with blue jeans and flannel jacket.... Wear orange....people are stupid around that area with firing. Had a 5x6 buck killed out from under me a few years ago as i was sneaking around this knoll. I was 30 yards from the deer when 2 guys shot above me. Deer died 10 yards away from me. I was wearing an orange hat and orange flap on my pack too.

9. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

I have found, both in the woods of Pennsylvania and now here in Nevada that predominately browns worked best. Something like Realtree Advantage, which has probably 80% brown shades.

Eric B.

10. Mike 338

Mike 338 Well-Known Member

Pretty much any camo pattern is fine. I might avoid something that's super dark. I've read that deer can see blue so blue jeans might not be good but anything somewhat muted including a plaid shirt will be more than fine.

11. hydehunter

hydehunter Well-Known Member

just remember the old saying "cotton kills" when it is wet and cold

Peddler 76 likes this.