Caming press

I agree totally, the cam over on the dies help straighten them with the case, benchrest seater dies with the long sleeve are easy to set. My biggest deal with seaters is to rotate as you go thru the seating downstroke, this makes a noticeable difference on runout measured anywhere on bullet from ogive to tip.

This would be a cam over seater die. Just touching would seem to put less stress on a press. There is a difference in light vs hard cam over on a RCBS.
I use the Lee Collet die and cam over with what I would call light medium cam over and let it set 10 seconds or so and I get very little spring back

I guess I'm on the opposite side of the cam over debate. I never want my press to cam over. I pull the handle all the way til it stops but I don't let my dies touch the shell holder. If my die won't give me the .002 bump I need without camming I will cut some off the bottom of the die. I have zero issues with consistent sizing. I've been shooting compatition for 35 yrs and haven't had an issue. When you shoot groups regularly in the 1s why switch. I agree with the other member that runout is not a big deal. It's really easy to get .002 or less and anything straighter doesn't show on paper. I've done extensive testing on this and have not seen any difference in group sizes even out to 1000yards. To me it seems that camming over a press repeatedly would lead to more wear and tear. That's alot of extra pressure on all the pins and the holes they ride in. It's not easy to put high pressure grease on these areas either. I'm not saying that people who do cam over are wrong but that I choose not to do so and have had no problems with consistent loads. Keeping your brass annealed and letting it sit in the die for 5 seconds will get them all the same with no cam over needed. My brass sits in the die until I have the next piece lubed up with imperial die wax. This takes about 5 seconds. Goes pretty fast when you get in the groove.
Shep

I guess I'm on the opposite side of the cam over debate. I never want my press to cam over. I pull the handle all the way til it stops but I don't let my dies touch the shell holder. If my die won't give me the .002 bump I need without camming I will cut some off the bottom of the die. I have zero issues with consistent sizing. I've been shooting compatition for 35 yrs and haven't had an issue. When you shoot groups regularly in the 1s why switch. I agree with the other member that runout is not a big deal. It's really easy to get .002 or less and anything straighter doesn't show on paper. I've done extensive testing on this and have not seen any difference in group sizes even out to 1000yards. To me it seems that camming over a press repeatedly would lead to more wear and tear. That's alot of extra pressure on all the pins and the holes they ride in. It's not easy to put high pressure grease on these areas either. I'm not saying that people who do cam over are wrong but that I choose not to do so and have had no problems with consistent loads. Keeping your brass annealed and letting it sit in the die for 5 seconds will get them all the same with no cam over needed. My brass sits in the die until I have the next piece lubed up with imperial die wax. This takes about 5 seconds. Goes pretty fast when you get in the groove.
Shep
It boils down to personal preference, There's no right or wrong

Exactly. Just do things the way you were taught at first. Then be a results oriented loader. Keep notes and try new things. Only 3 things can happen. Nothing at all. Worse or better. Obviously keep doing the things that make you better. But I'm always trying new things and sometimes you find something great sometimes not so much. Our sport is constantly evolving which is good for us all.
Shep

Exactly. Just do things the way you were taught at first. Then be a results oriented loader. Keep notes and try new things. Only 3 things can happen. Nothing at all. Worse or better. Obviously keep doing the things that make you better. But I'm always trying new things and sometimes you find something great sometimes not so much. Our sport is constantly evolving which is good for us all.
Shep
And just make ONE change at a time!

Just cant imagine how I ever got 5 shot 1/2" groups in my 722 222 w/a K10, w/4198 and 50 gr Sierras, w/Herters dies in a Herters press back in 1960.

I just followed what the Herters reloading book said to do !

Just cant imagine how I ever got 5 shot 1/2" groups in my 722 222 w/a K10, w/4198 and 50 gr Sierras, w/Herters dies in a Herters press back in 1960.

I just followed what the Herters reloading book said to do !
I'm not sure whats that's got to do with thread or the OP's question but now that your done patting yourself on the back, A lot things have worked and still will work, that I agree with but a lot of things have changed or improved for a better word, are you kin to the Legend MudRunner by any chance ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.