calling wolves

Tikkamike

I am in north west wyoming about an hour from yellowstone so we obviously have a lot of wolves. I am hoping to spend some time trying to kill at least one this winter. I am thinking I will buy a foxpro... What foxpro do you guys like? what sounds seem to work the best for wolves? Anyone have any tips? my plan is to get a call of some sort, go find a place of known activity, and start howling and glassing.

I've had wolves respond to a call, but never had one come in. I just assumed it was because they are smarter than 'yotes. Sound quality has definetly been improving though. Tagging in - curious if anyone has had success with an eCaller.

Edited to add;

The most successful wolf hunters I've encountered use traps.

Last edited:
morning, I hunt coyotes. this might sound foullish. I use
youtube for info on hunting coyotes. I would use the
internet as a search mode to find persons who hunt
wolves professionally. Alaska from what I understand
has the largest pop. of wolves. people every year r killed
by wolves. all animals including us have habits and weaknesses.
the seasons and mating make up a few of the weakness of
all air breathing creatures. I have at least 20 videos
of coyote hunting. u learn there habits. from
what I have read. wolves r very reclusive, secret, and
weary. good luck. as far as rifle calibers. 243ai, 6mmai, 257wbee,
just a few. justme gbot tum

I have no experience to cite, but if it was me, I've thought howling to locate, set up near cattle, use a decoy a respectable distance from the herd, and play a calf bawl until batteries died. Watch your back, as it sounds like circling down wind is the norm. Good Luck!

I have a foxpro fusion I set it up about 200 yards from me down wind of where known wolf activity is I howl once from my set with mouth calls then use the fox pro for crow calls smart wolves don't come in to strait howls anymore I've gotten a few with the method above patience is required sometimes you sit for hours waiting it's not usually like a coyote that will run strait in keep the volume fairly quiet

The USFW guy that taught the trapping certification class I took, suggested a coyote call. Especially if you know the wolves are close. Seems a pack will hunt down any other canine in their territory. I have one, but have yet to get into a good scenario to try it. Maybe as soon as this weekend though. mtmuley

I am in north west wyoming about an hour from yellowstone so we obviously have a lot of wolves. I am hoping to spend some time trying to kill at least one this winter. I am thinking I will buy a foxpro... What foxpro do you guys like? what sounds seem to work the best for wolves? Anyone have any tips? my plan is to get a call of some sort, go find a place of known activity, and start howling and glassing.