Calling coyotes in southeast ga

Gray R

Hey guys as the title suggest I'm in southeast georgia and wantin to kill some coyotes. Trouble is it's all row pines and oaks here. I have access to 2 dove fields but they're fenced in and slightly grown up. Also we've got a burn area that's about 25 acres but visibility would be iffy in there as well. That leaves us with just roads really and food plots but they're small for the task. So my question is would it be effective at all to set up a decoy and a call on a long straight stretch of road? If so what are some tips or methods that have worked for y'all?

I don't have near the experience of many here with huntin' coyotes, but in tight cover I'd go with a shotgun. The chances of a yote stepping onto a road seem small when they have cover to make their approach. Shotgunning em' aint nearly as fun as a rifle but it happens quick and lot's of times right in your lap! Another choice would be an AR with a Holo sight,(on my wish list).
As for calling I've had luck with both hand call's and electronic one's, biggest thing was using something to distract the yote from my location...turkey feather on a stick or motorized decoy...when the yotes are in close they can bust you if you blink your eyes!

Yes sir I'll definitely be taking the mojo critter along with us. I'm way to clumsy to expect to be still enough. And it had occurred to me to set the decoy and call a couple hundred yards down to keep them a trifle distance. I do like the ar with the eotech idea though haha

If Your Hunting thick close areas I wouldn't go so far out with Your Decoy and Caller,I like sitting up in a ladder stand so I can see further out and have an advantage over the Coyotes and other Predators!

Hi! I am also from southeast GA and I use a climbing stand for coyotes. I have had success putting a climbing stand over looking a field (same as deer hunting) and calling coyotes in. That way I can use a rifle. If I was hunting planted pine I would use a shotgun and slugs. I'll be doing just that in about 2 weeks. Good luck!

I live in West Ga (Carrollton) to be exact we also have hills and planted pines thick oaks and alot of under brush but I have done my best and seen the most out of tree stands that have been put for a while or a climber . Thats the route I usually take if I cant get to an open pasture wich is getting were people letting you hunt them is getting fewer and further between . Seems around here people cant tell the difference between a deer or coyote than a cow or horse . I have had 2 different farmers tell me during deer season someone shot one of their cows . So it makes it harder on me when I ask permission , they look at me like I have lost my marbles when I say I know the difference between a COW and a yote one is BIG and one is small and looks like a dog lightbulb

When you say you do your best out of a climber are you hikin up a tree in the hard woods or rows or what? Around here the only open areas are dove fields which aren't cut right now or really ever and about a 25 acre area that burned a few years ago and is grown up over the height of a dogs back so I'm not sure where to set up. Also no one I know hunts em cause they're few and far between here so you guys are my only knowledge base so talk to me like I don't know anything about it cause I'm startin from basics.

If You call along cleared out logging roads or mowed pathes it should work as long as you set up some type of decoy or feather Distractor to catch the attention of a a Coyote/Predator!Even in woods it would work if You can see a decent distance...pastures work well and I would reccomend setting up along the thick cover or tree line and set your caller and/or decoy out where You will be able to see a Coyote coming in.

Here in Missouri during the summer months when the fields are thick and tall with grass,clover,alfalfa or hay I find any place where I'm allowed to hunt Coyotes that have just cut their hay or mowed their CRP Fields and hunt over them when all other areas are too thick to see anything coming in to mouth calls or an electronic caller.Fresh plowed fields are another spot to hunt over,Newley planted fields etc all work well when other areas are too thick!

Fence Rows will work plus Your drawing in the Coyotes/Predators with Your calling so be ready for close shot opportunities,a shotgun might be the way to go or a good Rifle set on low power for closer shots.I use existing ladder or tree stands,elevated box blinds or ground blinds when available!Old Barns,Sheds and out-buildings or even Farm Equipment make great places to set up around to call from or hide You and most Animals are use to seeing them sitting around for long periods of time and aren't weary of them!

Based on what people are recommending I'm in the worst place possible to hunt these things haha. There simply aren't any fields bigger than food plots here It's either row pines or muddy swamp bottoms where ya can't see 100 yards in any direction. Does well for whitetails but it doesn't seem conducive to a coyote. Hopefully it'll just make it that much more satisfying when we put it together haha

If it will make You feel better I've only shot maybe 2 Coyotes so far at long distances and we have some decent open fields!One Coyote wasn't coming in any further while it was hunting for field mice and I shot it at around 200-300 yards,the second Coyote was coming in across a 1/2 mowed field from a good 400 yards and when he was at about 150 yards I think He picked up my scent and cut to my right...I "Barked" at him and he stopped broadside at the 150 yard mark and I shot him with my .223 using 55 grain Hornady V-max bullets.

Most my other Coyote kills were at around 100,75 and 50 yards....had a few close ones at 25-30 yards that I could have shot with a Pistol/Handgun,even got a shot at a few with my Compound Bow while Archery Deer Hunting!The trick is to play the wind,try to stay scent free and use as little movement as possible.I also use a Mouse Squeaker or simply Lip Squeak if a Coyote is close!

What is the terrain like? Reason I am asking; I live in Arkansas where there is pretty much just pine plantations, but there are terrain features. I called three in on New Year's day and killed two. I was set up on a ridge on a dead end road. I could see 70 yards down the road but only had a view 20 yards wide. First yote was shotgunned at 15 steps. Second was 25. IMO, I was on top of the ridge and the morning thermals were carrying my scent up, keeping me concealed, and I was able to approach the area silently. Also, I had done a lot of scouting and the area was hot with sign. It is very possible to kill them where you hunt. Use any terrain features you have.

Oh man the terrain is flat. I live at 13 feet above sea level and hunt at about 50 feet above. There aren't any rises or ridges high spots or anything

Oh man the terrain is flat. I live at 13 feet above sea level and hunt at about 50 feet above. There aren't any rises or ridges high spots or anything

No help here. However, when you kill that first one be sure to give us some details. I would be very interested to know what works in flat pine plantation country.

I'll definitely do that. I'll be so happy it came together you may hear me holler when I drop the hammer

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.