Calling coyotes heating up.

Ohlongarm

At 7:am this morning I called this little female in at 125 yards , a shot from the 204 Fiocchi 40 gr polymer tip bt @3700 fps 1216 foot pounds of energy slammed in to her neck and she stiffened instantly and rolled on her back all four feet stiff in the air. The round exited in her lower back area. A half an hour later another one came in and was at about 150 yards, I passed the shot was too risky in the thick brush tomorrow or the next day maybe. My shooting lane is 200 yards almost zero room for area you must shoot quick or not at all, thick brush and trees. About 6 o'clock dead center is where the little female appeared for a few seconds.

Attachments

• tm.jpg
    tm.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 241
  • tm1.jpg
    tm1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 199
  • sl.jpeg
    sl.jpeg
    507.7 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Where I live the pups are just starting to be born . I have taken a den of coyote as early as April 8th but that is not the normal . I figured that I would usually start looking for dens no sooner then April 25th and have taken heavy females as late as the first week in June here . From what I have seen the older females tend to pup earlier then the younger ones . We are getting heavy wet snow today and a wet pup is like most other young they chill and often die . Nature takes more of them out of the picture then I can in that way .

Years ago, I was camping with my grandchildren out in Utah's West Desert. It was very dark out and the flicker of the campfire was low. I was telling them a scary werewolf type of tale when suddenly... a coyote howled not 15 feet away from us! What an accessory the howl provided to my story. They still remember the incident well.

A friend was turkey hunting yesterday and calling with a decoy out in front. A coyote came in fast and hit the decoy, chasing a real turkey away that was 100 yards out. He was bow hunting so didn't get a shot. The coyote didn't stay very long!!

Nice job on the female coyote, Ohlongarm!

Recent Posts