Calling all annealing Pro's

Firearrow

Just got my Benchsource Annealer and I'm trying to get her set up. So I have got the torches almost all the way back, aimed at the mid part of the shoulder and using 650 tempilaq, with RWS brass, and 4 1/4 seconds. So here are the pictures. Left one has the tempilaq and some rose or bronze color to it. Right one has no bronze ish color to it and no tempilaq on it.

Just so I'm clear on this the tempilaq was put on the inside of the neck. I think these guys might be just a touch under annealed. No blue-ish color to it. So if it is under annealed, shoot it a few times and then retry????????

And the ultimate question. What do I look for for over annealing???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Ya good read. So basically color don't mean nothing. My tempilaq changed to black so I guess only loading them up will tell. Think I will still call the Pro's at Benchsource. I think I see test batches in my future.

I'd say your color is from the polish you use in the cleaning media, and I wouldn't be concerned. Your 650 tempilac looks burned inside the case neck, which it should have done because you're trying to reach 750, if I'm not mistaken.

My cases come out that color also, but my necks look like new lapua brass as far as a shiny silver solder look. Aim the flame at the shoulder-neck junction, and keep them in the flame slightly longer.

Someone may jump on me for this, but brass that gets too hot will turn black, and it wont polish out in a reasonable amount of time.

Over annealing means different things to different people.

If you anneal a case and the hardness of the brass barely changes then you wasted nothing but some propane and time.
If you anneal until the brass is too soft to hold a bullet then you now have a problem. In my experience, unless you like very little neck tension to begin with, the latter condition is harder to get to then most people think.

In my opinion anywhere in between is ok and as close as you can get to where your brass was at from the factory is optimal. How do you get there and how can you tell when youve arrived? I wish i knew.

I only try to do things similar enough each time not to upset my load and keep the brass sizing consistently.
I judge my annealing by how easy it is to dent a neck and by the feel of the press when sizing and seating. There are of course more things that factor into this feel and better ways to judge hardness, but this is my way and as much effort as i feel like contributing for the time being.

Trust the tempilac. That's what it's for. You have no better visual indicator than it. I don't see anything wrong with the appearance of the exterior of your cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.