Calling all AI shooters

I have .270 win imp. and I use 270 weatherby neck sizer die to form cases. I use the standard case length of 270 win- 2.540 in., when I trim the brass. The weatherby die does not crush the expand cases of the 270 improved ,as a standard 270 win die will. Some of the brass you have watch for cracks at the web near the base. I had problems with Federal cases cracking at the web. Winchester and Remington cases , I had no problems. Good Luck

I use Win .270 brass for my .25-06 AI because it's quality stuff and I got it cheap once-fired. And I use Rem .30-06 brass for my .30-06 AI, only because I picked up hundreds of them for free at the range over the years. I've never bought '06 brass. :D

I have a Savage 110 LA .270 AI with a 30" Lilja SS barrel 3G 1:8" #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle) with a JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley MB shooting 175 Matrix VLD. I do not fire-form, I have two accuracy loads instead.

HF73NP2.jpg

tkFAnxy.jpg

(.270 Win with 150 NBT vs .270 AI with 175 Matrix VLD)

(1) .270 Win (non-fireformed WW brass) @ 2919 FPS with CCI BR2 57 H4831SC
(2) .270 AI (from #1) @ 2993 FPS with CCI BR2 58 H4831SC

On my other improved cartridge I have a custom hydraulic forming die from John Whidden ...

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
I have a Savage 110 LA .270 AI with a 30" Lilja SS barrel 3G 1:8" #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle) with a JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley MB shooting 175 Matrix VLD. I do not fire-form, I have two accuracy loads instead.

HF73NP2.jpg

tkFAnxy.jpg

(.270 Win with 150 NBT vs .270 AI with 175 Matrix VLD)

(1) .270 Win (non-fireformed WW brass) @ 2919 FPS with CCI BR2 57 H4831SC
(2) .270 AI (from #1) @ 2993 FPS with CCI BR2 58 H4831SC

On my other improved cartridge I have a custom hydraulic forming die from John Whidden ...

Good luck!

Ed

Thanks Ed!
I actually have looked through your threads that originally turned me on to the AI. Not sure why my brother told my wife AI but oh well, it's ordered now lol. I am just hoping to see the velocities that you are.

So you have a accuracy load/fire forming with the 150 NBT correct?

Thanks Ed!
I actually have looked through your threads that originally turned me on to the AI. Not sure why my brother told my wife AI but oh well, it's ordered now lol. I am just hoping to see the velocities that you are.

So you have a accuracy load/fire forming with the 150 NBT correct?

Negative! 175 Matrix VLD on both. The picture was just for comparison and the 150 NBT was an an earlier load for my .270 Win before AI conversion.

Cheers!

Ed

Thanks fellas.
I have roughly 400 pieces of 270 Win brass and 900+ 30-06 brass. Hopefully I should be set. :D
If you use the 30-06 cases on the 270AI ,you will have shorter neck on the formed case. The shoulder will have moved with the improved case ,giving you the shorter neck.

Negative! 175 Matrix VLD on both. The picture was just for comparison and the 150 NBT was an an earlier load for my .270 Win before AI conversion.

Cheers!

Ed

Oh I gotcha.

If you use the 30-06 cases on the 270AI ,you will have shorter neck on the formed case. The shoulder will have moved with the improved case ,giving you the shorter neck.

Will the shorter neck really hurt anything?

The shorter neck of the .30-06 case can allow carbon to build up easier in front of the case. So, if you use the shorter case, be sure you keep that area clear of carbon.

I would stay away from using the .30-06 cases for your .270 AI because of the extreme shortness of the necks. Like mentioned above, it can cause a carbon ring, which can lead to accuracy issues. I'd stick with .270 Win brass.

Well I got the barrel came in around the 2nd week of January, and man is it pretty. Still waiting on the AI headspace gauges, hopefully any day now.

I have a brass brand question.
What brand brass is preferred?
I have read RWS is really good, but no experience with it. Is it worth the cost?
I have a lot of Rem and Win brass already.

Thanks again,
Scott

Until you get 270Ai FL dies. You can use Lee collet neck size and seating dies on the AI.

Also,on headspaceing I set up my AIs to have about .006" crush fit on virgin brass. No bullet jam. I tried COW and Bullseye but mid loads with bullets forms best. Since you're using Savage system keep your barrel for fireforming when its burned out.
I had good luck with 140gr VLD and H4831sc or N160 and BR2 primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts