Calling all 270 cal loyals.

Kinda looking forward to the 165gn ABLR hitting the streets. Not sure I can efficently shoot them in my 30" Lilja, 3g, 8t 270 Allen Magnum but I'm going to try. Kirby said the ABLR's were too soft for this RUM based round but that was the 150gn on down. Pretty sure I could easily get them to 3400fps but is it gonna stay intact? Too much of a good thing for most folks.

Kinda looking forward to the 165gn ABLR hitting the streets. Not sure I can efficently shoot them in my 30" Lilja, 3g, 8t 270 Allen Magnum but I'm going to try. Kirby said the ABLR's were too soft for this RUM based round but that was the 150gn on down. Pretty sure I could easily get them to 3400fps but is it gonna stay intact? Too much of a good thing for most folks.
I'm guessing that the farther distance out you would go with them, that the better they are going to hold together. Nothing more than guessing at say: inside of 500yds they may open up really fast but would still do the trick on medium sized game for heart /lung shots if nothing more than a rib bone is encountered.

We had one report of an elk being hit at 16' by an ABLR and it mushroom perfectly without exploding. Only time will tell through experience how this bullet will react just like any other bullet.

I'm guessing that the farther distance out you would go with them, that the better they are going to hold together. Nothing more than guessing at say: inside of 500yds they may open up really fast but would still do the trick on medium sized game for heart /lung shots if nothing more than a rib bone is encountered.
Yeah, I usually don't setup or plan for anything to come out at PB range when I hunt with the .270 "Howitzer" Allen Mag. With it being so heavy (almost 16lbs) and the DE muzzle brake, impact shots can usually be seen through the Leupold before the little bit of recoil pushes you back. With the last buck taken with it (603yds) I saw his back legs slap the underside of his belly, then the "thawop" as the 170gn Berger found its mark. When I regained my sight picture he was lying on all fours and then slowly rolled over and just stretched. There's no way I can describe it other than Totally Devastating!

I think the .27 Nosler is 'the next big thing' for the .270 caliber. It will be 'twisted' to handle 165grain and 170grain high BC bullets. It'll produce lots of speed and power. For those looking to push the .270 into the 'modern' world, that'll be the cartridge to go to next.

I think the .270 WSM already 'captures' the short action, higher powered option adequately, even if it isn't ideal for the long, high BC bullets. I'd like to see a .270-08 Ackley Improved catch on, but what's it going to really offer that the .270 WSM doesn't already? I just like the idea of a .277 bullet out of a .308 case...just because.

Frankly, the .270 Win is pretty great just the way it is. Nope, it isn't going to shoot the heavy BC bullets and knock elk down at 1000 yards. But that's okay. It's pretty awesome out to about 600 yards, which is as far as I'm going to ever attempt to shoot a living, breathing thing (personally imposed limit.) Nosler makes a 160 grain Partition that works in the 1-10 twist, if I ever get the urge to chase moose or bears, I suppose. The 130 grain is great on deer and antelope. The 150 grain is good for elk, mulies, and black bears. The 90 & 100 grain projectiles are very good on varmints. Modern rifles and scopes allow us to really use the cartridge to its best inside 600 yards. Hard to believe a cartridge from 1925 is still holding up so well in 2020 against the newest fads. It'll be interesting to see what comes next.

I have a 1926 Winchester Model 54 in 270 Win. I run the 160 partitions @ 2700-2800 fps. Will penetrate the entire length of a deer, chest to rump, with 60-70% bullet weight retention. Makes me happy just to have that rifle in my hands when I head into Penn's Woods.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.