Calling all 270 cal loyals.

I'm personally waiting to hear more on the .277 fury, suppose to run 140 gr hunting bullets 2900-3000 from a 16" barrel. I'm thinking in a 24" should surpass even a 270 wsm. Just a waiting game now to see how it's marketed. It seems like the best thing since sliced bread, I'm sure wildcatters will neck it up and down. Should be a real game changer in the hunting world.

I've seriously considered building a 270ss, way too many folks speak way too highly of the SS cartridges, but I'm partial to the 270 so I think that would be a fun build. I am very interested on a true short action 270...
Shoot might just build one of each in the SS lineup before it's all said and done.
Yes. I need @elkaholic to make some head stamped ADG 270ss brass and Is be in. Or just a reamer...I have a 280 Sherman and am looking forward to a short action build to complement it.

Moosekiller99
How's your gun set up? Is it a custom or just a rebarrel s action, what your OAL?
If I could run over 3k with 150s that would be great. I don't like fire forming cases but have though about a 270-280ai and just necking down the 280ai case. But over 3k fps with a normal 270 and 150grn pills would make me keep as is!

In another thread, lots of 270 cal loyalists are anticipating another modernized 270 cal cartridge. So we have the 27 nosler coming soon in a long action high velocity round which looks like it's going to be a really nice cartridge, so that niche is filled. A commercialized 270 has been done in a long action a couple of times. 270 wby & 270 win and now the modernized 27 nosler with correct twist for long & heavy. So do you 270 loyalists feel a need for a modernized 270 cal in a true short action with long heavies? We can talk about the 270WSM and it can be set up for long heavy projectiles but for it to really be done right, it should be in a long action. We have the 270 fury coming but it seems to be designed around 140gr bullets. So what's missing? 270 has been done in long action & high velocity. Is there a niche to fill with a 270 cal cartridge of moderate velocities in a short action with long heavy high bc bullets & mild recoil to compete with such rounds as the 6.5 creedmoor & 7mm-08 rem and why not go ahead and say to compete with the 308 Winchester?
I carry a 1986 traditional Remington 700 BDL in 270 Winchester. Yes, the old tried and proven cartridge though that king of follows along with my age at 75 years old. My other guns are a Winchester 94 in 30-30, and a Ruger SR762 (ie 308). Though the last is a bit modern it is a good solid rifle.

While I was up north in the land of Elk, moose, and long range deer, Over the off season I had a winchester 70 chambered in a wildcat 270 belted magnum. it was simply a necked down 7MM Rem Mag to 0.277". the dies came from RCBS, the reamer from . I never knew where the reamer came from. I hunted with that for 5 years, it was a dream come true. Accurate, easy to handle (muzzle brake), 2# trigger, 4.5-14 X 50 MM Leupold scope W/BDC reticle. I think the barrel was a #5 taper and it was one of the first 1:8" twist barrels out on the market. Once the loads were developed with 150 grain Barnes, various 140 grain slugs, some 130 grain slugs and Barnes 120's, 110's I was set. deer were no problem, Elk fell easily, and I was very happy. I miss that rifle. Why I left that rifle up north with my friend I will never know. That is why I am going to sell a Robar Industries SP-90 300 W/M to have another one built. I miss it so much I am willing to give up that tack driving machine for another 270 wildcat magnum.

I have to admit I've not studied what offerings are available in 270 in depth...who out there has necked down a 308 and stuffed a 270 bullet in it? Surely that's been done

I have an article about a cartridge called the 270 Redding. It's a 308 case with a 30 degree shoulder. I think they blew out some of the body taper; don't know what they did with shoulder location. Wayne Van Zwoll wrote the article, and it's in a big book called WILDCAT CARTRIDGES from Wolfe Publishing. In a nutshell, with the powders that were available when the article was written, he was able to duplicate 270 Winchester velocities with bullet weights up to 130 grains, in a pretty long barrel. With anything heavier, the smaller case capacity kept velocities somewhat slower - as one would expect.

If someone did this today, they would probably want to shorten the case a bit - otherwise, with a long & heavy bullet, the ogive would be inside the mouth of the case neck, if it was all going to fit in the magazine. ( This is why the Creedmoor case is a bit shorter than the 260 Remington.) Just opening up the neck of the 6.5 Creedmoor case for a .277" bullet would achieve this, and you're right - this has probably already been done. I'm sure that somebody will chime in on this and you'll have the answer. I'll also bet that it would work pretty well, and that there will be guys who won't like it because it's a derivative of the Creedmoor case that they so much like to criticize. If one is a fan of the Creedmoor, and also a 270 fan, this would be the obvious combination to take a look at - particularly now that here are some long-range bullets being produced for the new 27 Nosler. I also think that a fatter cartridge case is likely to generate more interest, but that would certainly not negate the usefulness of a 308-based 270 cartridge.

I just ordered a brux 1:8 270 barrel #5 contour. Have an old rem 700 that has a 32" truck axle 300 rum tube one it. I'll add a wyatt's mbe3 box and build a 27 nosler on it. My worries: saami spec chamber has no freebore and has a neck Dia of 0.316, I usually like 5 thou for expansion so loaded case should measure 311, bullet is 277 so brass would need 0.017 thick necks. I don't believe they'll be that thick and the chamber will have a sloppy neck. I will order some Bertram brass, as their nosler case line of brass has actually been pretty consistent and strong case heads. I bet that'll be around 0.0145" thick as their 28/30/33 nosler brass is right in that area. I have to custom order a reamer with a 311 neck and probably freebore of 0.120 and 1.5° lead, unlike the 1° of saami, that gets burned out too fast.

There is this one. Give theSherman short a look. It's a sweet spot for the heavy for caliber 270

Attachments

• BBE7A394-1CA2-4DE8-92B4-337B405A1D12.png
    BBE7A394-1CA2-4DE8-92B4-337B405A1D12.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 68
The 270 Winchester is a good fun cartridge I had a Ruger M 77 tang safety with a 6x Lepold and it was a tack driver. Stupidly sold it years ago but now now have a Rem 700 24 inch barrel thumbhole stock with a 3x9 scope, also very accurate . Great for deer but for larger game will go 30 cal or bigger.

I just ordered a brux 1:8 270 barrel #5 contour. Have an old rem 700 that has a 32" truck axle 300 rum tube one it. I'll add a wyatt's mbe3 box and build a 27 nosler on it. My worries: saami spec chamber has no freebore and has a neck Dia of 0.316, I usually like 5 thou for expansion so loaded case should measure 311, bullet is 277 so brass would need 0.017 thick necks. I don't believe they'll be that thick and the chamber will have a sloppy neck. I will order some Bertram brass, as their nosler case line of brass has actually been pretty consistent and strong case heads. I bet that'll be around 0.0145" thick as their 28/30/33 nosler brass is right in that area. I have to custom order a reamer with a 311 neck and probably freebore of 0.120 and 1.5° lead, unlike the 1° of saami, that gets burned out too fast.
Don't forget to order some of the new 165 gr. ABLR bullets from Nosler.

Don't forget to order some of the new 165 gr. ABLR bullets from Nosler.
Ehhh idk, not a big nosler fan. I have 500x 170 eol I got on clearance when bullets.com was closing. I'll get some 175 matrix ordered too. I'll wait and see reports on the able prior, not a lot of guys on here shoot em from what I researched.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.