Calling all 260 AI owners

Southwind

I have this incredible desire to building a 260 AI tactical-hunter rifle. My biggest draw back is the brass forming. I really don't want to neck turn, and the fire forming process is so hard on a chamber is it unreasonable to just form on the press?

I know the big timers have dedicated fireforming barrels but there is no way I am up for that.

I would like to hear what other 260 AI shooters are doing and if there is a simplified way to form brass without too much hassle or expense or at the expense of my barrel.

The 260 AI allows you to easily get that 2900 fps mark with 140's and with longer barrel life and less recoil then a 6.5 X 284. However, if I can't overcome some of these issues on brass for this type of platform I may just go with the standard 260.

All your thoughts please.

You can fireform using the pistol powder with cream of wheat method. It makes a bit of a mess of your surroundings but works very well for blowing out the shoulders and saves lots on barrel life. Other than that, there isn't really many options, however lots of guys report almost the same accuracy while fireforming as already fireformed cases, go figure.
Ivo

I use 7-08 brass next down and do not neck turn. I have 200 Lapua 243 cases that I did neck turn. Accuracy wise I do not notice a different between the two BUT i may not be capable of accuracy to tell.
kdog

Southwind

I have a .260AI in the process of a build. As I'm a hunter/shooter, number of rounds down the barrel don't concern me.
My plan is to load some .260's close to what my improved load will be, and use them for practise when I have the rifle assembled.
I've also been told that factory .260's are often accurate in the AI chamber,,, which is a good thing if one misplaces their handloads(I've seen this happen more often than you'd think) while on an extended hunting trip...

I just built one on a savage.
Foreforming is no problem. I loaded up 50rounds and used
them for barrel break in and sighting in etc.
The good news is they shoot awesome. 15shots .5 inch
10 shots barely over a quarter inch.
After the first 50, I do load development with the formed cases
but load up 50 more to fireform and use those as foulers
and sighters.
It's amazing how fast the cases are fireformed and they
are so accurate they are great to shoot and not a waste
of time .

Thanks for all the info gents. That Hornady Hydraulic form die is an interesting option.

I know Remington is making 260 brass and looked like Norma as well as Nosler is making brass. I know Remington is soft but hear Norma is too. The Nosler gets pretty good marks.

Are most of you starting with 260 brass or 308 or 243 brass?

I like so far just geting started , I did some fire forming and loaded some fire formed cases . I need more loads for the fire formed cases . I have some. But I am real impressed with the accuracy so far even with the fire forming loads useing 260 rem brass and 7mm08 brass forming good with hunter powder .

I just built one on a savage.
Foreforming is no problem. I loaded up 50rounds and used
them for barrel break in and sighting in etc.
The good news is they shoot awesome. 15shots .5 inch
10 shots barely over a quarter inch.
After the first 50, I do load development with the formed cases
but load up 50 more to fireform and use those as foulers
and sighters.
It's amazing how fast the cases are fireformed and they
are so accurate they are great to shoot and not a waste
of time .

Plus one to this. This is my exact process as well. I fire form as I break in then fire form a few more after every cleaning to foul the barrel.

my 260 AI experience is exactly like RockZ. Built mine three years ago on a Savage action, match grade Shilen stainless barrel and an custom stock. Accuracy with fire formed reloads is almost unbelievable. This is the most accurate hunting rifle and caliber I've ever owned. Used it on a Wyoming antelope hunt, only took one well placed shot.

Same. Both 260 burger 130 otm and hornady eldm 130, shoot .5inch or less in my AI chamber. The berger uses lapua brass and its $30 per box, so basically shooting 1/2inch groups while fire forming and then the AI loaded rounds shoot even better.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.