CALLING ALL .243 AI SHOOTERS. I'M CONSIDERING A CALIBER SWAP ON SENDERO PLATFORM

Bang4theBuck

I have a Remington 700 Sendero in 220 Swift. The rifle is a great shooter, but I just don't seem to be finding good use for the rifle. As much as I feel like I keep it around for varmint hunting, I have not been able to come up with a good varmint hunting opportunity. When I go to the range to shoot long range, this is not my first choice with 308 (I like the sound it makes on steel), 6.5 CM (favorite) and 6.5x284 (Hotrod) as other choices.
I recently helped a friend build a rifle from all new purchased components, including a Remington Stainless action and a Criterion Remage barrel. This rifle shoots very well and was fairly inexpensive. I have been thinking about removing the barrel on the Sendero and picking up a rem age barrel in 243 AI. I like what I read about it, and best I can tell, I could reuse the sendero stock, trigger, action , scope and mounts, so the cost would be minimal. I'm thinking that this would be much more versatile than the 220 Swift.
So Here are my questions:
1. There is a 243 AI and 243 AI match chamberings available. I would want to have the ability to shoot heavy high BC bullets. (115 DTAC or similar). I am a reloader. Which would suite my purpose better and what are the adv/disadv of both?
2. I'm intending on getting it in 1:8 twist, as it is the only twist available from the vendor that I am considering. Any issue with that?
3. Has anyone ever taken the factory barrel off and extended the threads on it to use a barrel nut and thereby have a switch barrel rifle?

Thanks in advance for your help.

talked to some of the guys around here and they are running a 7-7.25 twist with the 115 DTAC's, they run them a touch over 3k fps. barrel length varies from 26-32in

1in8 twist might limit you to 105 grain class of bullets. I shoot the 105 amax out of mine at 2950 with h4350. The match chamber may be a tight neck so you will need to decide whether you want to add neck turning to your brass prep.

I can stabilize the 115 D-tac in my 8 twist. If I were going to shoot the 115 exclusively I would go with a 7 twist tho.

I shoot a 105gr Berger at 3250 in mine. I didn't see a need to switch to the bigger bullets.

My 8 twist Broughton made it 1400 rounds before I had accuracy loss with the 115's. Set back the chamber and have been shooting the 107's ever since. Still shoots 1/2 MOA but used to shoot 1/4.

My next barrel will be faster than an 8".

If it's the short-action version of a Sendero, it's technically not a "Sendero" model, it's a "VSF" or "VSSF" model.
Very true! Or even a VS. Although there were some short action "Senderos". They were in either the Winchester short mags or the Short action ultra mags....or possibly both.

Very true! Or even a VS. Although there were some short action "Senderos". They were in either the Winchester short mags or the Short action ultra mags....or possibly both.
Correct, they were chambered for RSAUM (Remington Short-Action Ultra Mag) cartridges, but those were only made for an extremely short period of a time, so I didn't figure it was worth mentioning.

Tag. Been thinking along the same lines myself. Appreciate the discussion.

In my case, I have a .243 with a 1:9.125 twist. Trying to decide on whether to rechamber the factory barrel in .243AI or scrap the barrel and go Remage with faster twist.

Well, I have enjoyed the discussion as well, but have decided against the 243AI this time around. The popularity, available information, and coolness factors all checked out well. My reasoning for changing was singular. many of the PRS style competitions that I intend to enter in the coming months have a speed limit of 3200 FPS. 243AI is going to exceed that with ease, and to slow it down purposely would not be worth the effort of fire forming, etc. I am going to move forward with the build, but it is going to be a 6mm Creedmoor instead. I look forward to hearing the comments on this change of direction.

Yeah, for hunting...the .243 Ackley has more in the gas tank than the 6 Creedmore but I would not want to be ejecting my fireformed brass all over a rifle course! 6 Creedmore should treat you right...

Built myself a .243AI on a switch barrel savage 10FPSR. My chamber is extremely tight (Columbia River Arms, excellent chamber, killer barrel .5" groups with almost anything). Necks come out .2430 inside neck diameter from a fired case.

Running RL-23 at 45.5gn and 108gn ELD-M and 115gn DTAC's at 3180 (same load spec, same FPS both bullets). Case growth is zero so far. It also shoots 55gn varmint bullets over 4K fps really easily. 8 twist is it really. Fireform load was 39.5 gn under a 108. Perfectly formed cases.

I turned my Winchester m70-post into a switch barrel gun with a barrel nut. Good stuff.

The match chamber may be tighter or have a longer throat. You'll need to find out what the difference actually is. My barrel is throated pretty short but I have zero issues getting 115's to 3200fps even with the bullet seated pretty deep. .243AI has a huge boiler room so I wouldn't worry about having enough.

I was looking forward to more info my self on the 243AI but i commend your decision to change your direction towards a 6.5 cm

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.