Call Sequence Coyote hunting

pltx2000

New to game callers (Foxpro Wildfire 2) and am not sure as to which calls should be used and in what sequence, time between calls, volume (keep at max or vary?) etc... All input will be truly appreciated.
FYI, the first day I took it out I called a male (got him) but I was just randomly selecting calls.

Trial and error. Keep noted if what does work and the time of year. Volume should depend on if you're hunying wide open vs timber. I don't use a electronic but for me a great sequence is s challenge howl followed a few minutes later by Kai-ai

I mostly mouth call but I typically find a good location and sneak in and stay quiet for a few minutes. I than start of quietly as coyotes might be close by and starting them off at full volume might spook them. I start of a little, back off, little more than quiet. If nothing than I start hitting the call more and louder. I will continue this pace for a bit and if I still see nothing than I really get the volume and excitement going. After a bit I start dialing it back. If I see a coyote coming in I often start either staying steady with what got their attention or dialing it back. If I have them almost to where I want them and they are coming I stop calling so they dont pick me out. I might give them one more soft call if the hold up and I need them to keep coming. I use more cottontail calls east and jack rabbits west. Whatever rabbit is more common to the area.

I see this question pop up pretty often. There are a lot of right answers because a lot of different sounds, sequences and techniques work sometimes. I am yet to find anything that works every time but I think it helps to get a little experience and do a little research on what coyotes are up to at different times of the year.

If I were to suggest a general calling sequence that could be used across many situations I'd say:

-Start off with a low volume prey distress sound (rabbit, rodent, or bird) and run it for 2-5 minutes

-silence for 1-2 minutes

-Louder distress sound for 3-5 minutes

-silence for 1-2 minutes

-Howl at loud volume 2-3 times.

-silence for 1-2 minutes

-Change to a different distress sound at high volume and run it for 5-7 minutes

-silence for 1-2 minutes

-Howl several times

-Silence for 1-2 minutes

-Ki-yi or coyote pup distress for 3-5 minutes.

I like to sit on stand for about 30 minutes. If you get a response in the distance but they won't come in, back out quietly and circle around closer to their location and try again. I've found that often a coyote that is a ways off will answer a howl but not come in until you set up close to them. Of course you'd better be discreet when sneaking around after you've called or you'll get busted. I hunt out west in wide open country, rolling hills with sagebrush mostly.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.