Call for a newbie

crackerbacks

I think I want to give this coyote thing a shot but I don't want to spend big money yet....
Should I get a call/decoy combo or separate? Again not looking for a $500 set up, would like to stay below $200.

I understand but once cry once but not this time.

A feather and string tied to a stake works good if there is any wind. If you have one a mojo dove decoy works great.

Also you can buy refurbished fox pro calls for around a $100. I have had one for several years with no issues. Good luck and have fun it's addictive.

It probably depends a little bit on where you are hunting, from what I hear, hunting out West is different from hunting in the east. Here in PA we use foxpro calls, red lights from coyotelight, and a mojo critter to keep the attention off of us. You should be able to find a foxpro + mojo critter for under $200. Your foxpro won't be the loudest out there or hold the most presets with the budget you have listed, but you don't need a ton of sound to bring them in. Good luck, it's addicting.

I will be hunting in my buddies back yard.... he has 18 acres behind his house and they are getting to close to his dog. There are woods behind that. His land is mostly mowed. Any suggestions are appreciated.

We are in Michigan if that helps.

If its legal to hunt at night, try that, it's fun and exciting and you can hide yourself better. But you will need a red light. Otherwise hunt dusk and dawn, in full camo regardless of the time of day, and scent control is critical. Doesnt sound like you need a lot of power from the call based on where u hunt. I usually start out with vole squeaks, run the call for a minute or so and kill it for 5 minutes. Look with your eyes, don't turn your head. Start quiet and work up in voulme. Try rabbit, squirrel, bird distress calls, whatever is local to the area. If no response to food, try pup distress calls. No need for a million presets, 10 or so will do. If these coyotes get called to alot, keep a preset thats out of the ordinary, such as chicken in distress. I have had coyotes come charging in while turkey hunting with a box call, yet have never known a coyote Hunter to use a turkey in distress call, but it makes sense. Set up with your gun on sticks and in your shoulder. Yotes circle downwind of the call, generally, but it's hunting so anything can happen. You probably picture yourself drilling one with a centerfire from hundreds of yards away, but don't forget shotguns are great coyote guns, especially in the Eastern woods, as the action can get up close and personal really fast. Sorry, just kind of spit everything that came to mind quickly. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

His yard is narrow and deep with neighbors/yards a long side. I was thinking sitting about 250 yards from the woodline with my back to the house, hoping to draw him to the edge of the woods, or should I be in the woods?

I don't think you can go wrong going with a Foxpro e-caller.

I really like the Foxpro CS-24C. I also like the Fusion and the Crossfire.

The new Hammer Jack is not available yet. It looks like a good e-caller. It only has two pre-set sounds. I really like the e-callers with ten pre-set sounds.

The Foxpro in my Avatar picture was my first Foxpro e-caller it was a FX5.

I usually set up inside the woodline a couple feet or so to conceal myself as best as possible. Affordable red lights will go 200 yards, really good ones 500+. Key is not to run the light on full brightness, run it on the other end of the power spectrum and just use the outter edge of the halo to light up the eyes, never shine the center of the beam directly on them until you are pulling the trigger if u can avoid it. Scan slowly with the red light as u are calling keeping the light from shining on you and just keeping that outter, bottom edge a foot off the ground, not the center of the beam at coyote eye level. Those eyes will reflect even the smallest amount of light. It's not winter so the coats won't be as nice but take pictures anyway to share along with info on the gear you used and a good story. Keep us posted.

I use a combination of a FoxPro E-caller and diaphragm calls. I especially like MK coyote calls. For less than $15 buck, and maybe an hours worth of practice you can be in business. For hand calls, my favorite is Dogbreath Coyote Calls.

I use a combination of a FoxPro E-caller and diaphragm calls. I especially like MK coyote calls. For less than $15 buck, and maybe an hours worth of practice you can be in business. For hand calls, my favorite is Dogbreath Coyote Calls.

That diaphragm seems like it might be fun to try... should one start with coyote or rabbit sounds?

That diaphragm seems like it might be fun to try... should one start with coyote or rabbit sounds?
I use both, but a rabbit in distress is easier to master, I suppose. I don't go into the deer woods without a call. Half the time I'm really coyote hunting, and will shoot a deer if it presents itself.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.