Call and decoy placement question

tikka270win

I just got into coyote hunting and purchased a mojo rabbit decoy and a foxpro electronic call. I have done some research and found in a wooded area the call should go upwind Of where im sitting and the decoy downwind. So it doesnt matter if the decoy isnt next to the call? The coyotes will still go to the decoy when they are called in? Thanks ahead for any advice.

The advice you got may work. I always put the call and decoy together myself. Just position yourself downwind or crosswind (my preference) from both of them. Make sure you can see the downwind in either case. Good luck!

tikka270win,
I have to agree with tt35 on the set up. The only difference that I have, is when I use mouth calls. That's when I don't set the decoy more than 10 yards from my location. Otherwise, the decoy is a good 20+ yards from where I'm hiding.

Bowhunter57

tikka270win,
I have to agree with tt35 on the set up. The only difference that I have, is when I use mouth calls. That's when I don't set the decoy more than 10 yards from my location. Otherwise, the decoy is a good 20+ yards from where I'm hiding.

Bowhunter57

OK, the only thing i was wondering about is if you would be seen easier if the decoy was upwind of me, but I'll give it a try next time i go coyote hunting!

If using good scent control techniques I've never seen much of a difference in relation to decoy and caller. If they're coming in it's because of the sound once i see them i use my calls very sparingly, once they lock onto a decoy they're hooked. I try and position the decoy in the area they can see best, and hide the caller, just something to break up it's outline, idk if they can see the tan in the caller or not i just feel more comfortable with it hidden. If i can't do that i place the call at the base of my decoy. In my experience if they spot the decoy they're hooked and going to come in. I've called in hawks and owls and had to move around and keep them from snatching my decoy, i feel they are just like the yotes they come to investigate the calls and once they see the decoy they gotta check that out too... Happy hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.