California - Copper

Everyone seems to be right on with my experience also. I've has great luck with Barnes (TSX, TTSX, and LRX), so-so with Hornady GMX, and busted with Nosler E-Tips. As others have noted, I learned early on that copper bullets are longer than lead, meaning that you may have to get a lighter (ie shorter) bullet to match your twist rate.

One thing I haven't seen stated here yet is that copper/guilding metal bullets are also typically HARDER than c&c bullets. That's why they need the relief cuts in order to smash into the rifling properly. One effect of that hardness, coupled with the longer bearing surface in n the barrel, is that you can build excessive pressures very easily, especially with a fast-burn powder. Therefore, it's very important to use load data specific to that bullet, or at least for monolithic bullets. You can't take your old recipe for c&c bullets and just stick a copper in there of the same weight. You'll probably have to change your charge. That pressure difference may also be why so many have noticed that monos like that free bore jump.

One more plus for Barnes is that their load data is typically freely available on their website. I'd start there.
What I heard is the groves in Barnes, GMX, Hammers are to reduce bearing surface which aids in relieving some pressure and helps reduce fouling . Haven't heard anything about the crush affect but could be true . I don't recall exactly what the groves in the E Tips looked like . Minimum I guessing .

Last edited:
See attached groups from a new Sako A7 270 Win. and Barnes 130 TTSX. This was second outing. Took the advice to really jump the bullet. Started at .100". The 2 best groups were jumped .150" and .160". I would have never gone this far out in testing if had not seen the recommendation on this site multiple times and on Barnes site. Gave it a try expecting failure and got custom rifle results with long jump and max load in a 700.00 rifle. Seating depth is everything with Barnes bullets.

Attachments

• 6A15F04D-052F-499D-BD62-95515CC01680.jpeg
    6A15F04D-052F-499D-BD62-95515CC01680.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 3BC7A4F5-9667-4227-837E-9C092C2A3B01.jpeg
    3BC7A4F5-9667-4227-837E-9C092C2A3B01.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 132
  • A405758A-9B47-4C8D-8BAA-80C89D3AAAF7.jpeg
    A405758A-9B47-4C8D-8BAA-80C89D3AAAF7.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 165
See attached groups from a new Sako A7 270 Win. and Barnes 130 TTSX. This was second outing. Took the advice to really jump the bullet. Started at .100". The 2 best groups were jumped .150" and .160". I would have never gone this far out in testing if had not seen the recommendation on this site multiple times and on Barnes site. Gave it a try expecting failure and got custom rifle results with long jump and max load in a 700.00 rifle. Seating depth is everything with Barnes bullets.
Very nice ! I remember back when I started testing 180 gr. TTSX in my Rem 700 300 RUM. I couldn't believe the accuracy . I was seating just deep enough to fit in magazine . Must of been far enough back cause I never changed . I won't tell you groups cause even I don't believe it. TTSX shot just as good if not little better. I weighed all bullets to test. Back then, MRX shot bad. I never got to try LRX out of old barrel . I have some 190 and forget other, 200 something grain LRX but don't think I'll ever try soon. 215 Berger and 181 Hammers shoot dang good in it.

Very nice ! I remember back when I started testing 180 gr. TTSX in my Rem 700 300 RUM. I couldn't believe the accuracy . I was seating just deep enough to fit in magazine . Must of been far enough back cause I never changed . I won't tell you groups cause even I don't believe it. TTSX shot just as good if not little better. I weighed all bullets to test. Back then, MRX shot bad. I never got to try LRX out of old barrel . I have some 190 and forget other, 200 something grain LRX but don't think I'll ever try soon. 215 Berger and 181 Hammers shoot dang good in it.

My HS Precision 300 WM shoots Barnes TTSX 180's three in one hole a 100 yards seated 50 thou off the lands pushed by IMR4831 to 3,100 fps using standard primers and Lee FCD light crimp. 50 thou was my first try and I haven't had to make any changes except for powder charge. This with the Leupold VX7 and range adjustment turret with 300 yd zero makes this a perfect set up for just about anything.

My HS Precision 300 WM shoots Barnes TTSX 180's three in one hole a 100 yards seated 50 thou off the lands pushed by IMR4831 to 3,100 fps using standard primers and Lee FCD light crimp. 50 thou was my first try and I haven't had to make any changes except for powder charge. This with the Leupold VX7 and range adjustment turret with 300 yd zero makes this a perfect set up for just about anything.
Very nice . Have you ever tried Fed 215 mag match primers ? It's all I use in my 300 RUM, 300 Win mag and 7 Rem Mag. Been experimenting with 6.5 PRC and 6.5x284. So far I don't think I need and better sd and es with CCI BR2. The 180 TTSX put done a lot of one shot kills on elk deer and lope instantly for me. I had a CDS Turret got my load. New barrel now. :)

Very nice . Have you ever tried Fed 215 mag match primers ? It's all I use in my 300 RUM, 300 Win mag and 7 Rem Mag. Been experimenting with 6.5 PRC and 6.5x284. So far I don't think I need and better sd and es with CCI BR2. The 180 TTSX put done a lot of one shot kills on elk deer and lope instantly for me. I had a CDS Turret got my load. New barrel now. :)
Actually I have a stash of CCI 200's that I use for everything. Get the accuracy and velo's I want in my -06 (Win M70 SG) and 300WM(HSP) with them and IMR4350 and 4831 powders. And, it's hard for me to hold any tighter than the one hole 100 yd groups both give me with 180 Barnes TTSX's. I may have to look around for something different like 215's and H4350 for my new 7x57 once I've shot up my factory loads and have lots of brass!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.