calibrated hold over reticles

gearfoot

I am looking for a scope for a 264 win mag. I'd like to take a 300 yard zero then have hash marks at 4,5,6,7 and 800 yards. Do any of the scope manufacturers build reticles like this? What about a reticle based on actual measured drops?

Thanks.

US Optics will let you design and build what you want, but its not cheap. I have a custom reticle in process with them now. "development" cost is $1,000, but they are cutting me a deal to have my custom reticle swapped into my other 5-25X TPAL scopes.

Jeffvn

The Zeiss Rapid Z 800 is as close as you'll get on a factory scope. They have an online calculator to match your ballistics to your reticle by adjusting the magnification of the scope. I have a Conquest 4.5-14 on a 300 WSM that I use with different load combinations, and the Zeiss exbal calculator is spot on for each load.

You can get custom reticles from the Leupold custom shop, specifically calibrated for your setup. But if you are anything like the rest of us, you will end up changing something on your rig, be it bullet, brass, primer, powder, rings etc. which will more than likely compromise the BCD values inside your scope, IMHO stick with the turrets, whether you go with mils or moa, at least you can swap out a turret fairly easy, it's not as easy to change reticles.

Leupold will also do custom dials, (on Leupold scopes only). I think that's the way I'm going to go. If you ever decided to go with a different load or sell the scope you can put the original dial back on or order another dial for under $60. However, it's been about 4 months since I talked to Leupold and I don't remember whether or not you have to send the scope back for the new dial (s).

you can use any type of reticle for hold over, I have a springfield gen 3 scope for the 308 win and shoot all the ranges to verify the impact points with my 375 tejas. crosshairs at 200 yds out to the 10 line at 1450 yds. I can then dial if i want to shoot out further I have used my leupold vx-3 3.5-10 with duplex reticle on max power. the upper heavy to fine junction set at 250 yds, crosshair at 350 yds and the lower junction at 450 yds on a 308 win.

I have two Zeiss Conquests, one with Turrets and one with Z-600 reticle. I am very happy with the Z-600, but as with all things there is give and take. The spacing's are set, so you can't modify them for load or condition changes. The good news is that I have a spreadsheet where I compare the drops on my various loads to that of my z-600 and I have yet to be +/- over 2" out to 600 yards. For hunting, this is fine. I'm not off 2.0 moa, just 2". I was unaware you could get custom reticles from Leupold, but doubt I would spend the cash for drop lines, but might to add MOA windage lines for when I use my turret for drop adjustments. The best thing about the Zeiss Z-series reticle is the 5/10mps windage marks go with each seperate drop line so you are not guessing. For whay I've seen there is no way to adjust windage on the Nikon, Burris, or Leupold(except on their Varmit version).

I have two Zeiss Conquests, one with Turrets and one with Z-600 reticle. I am very happy with the Z-600, but as with all things there is give and take. The spacing's are set, so you can't modify them for load or condition changes. The good news is that I have a spreadsheet where I compare the drops on my various loads to that of my z-600 and I have yet to be +/- over 2" out to 600 yards. For hunting, this is fine. I'm not off 2.0 moa, just 2". I was unaware you could get custom reticles from Leupold, but doubt I would spend the cash for drop lines, but might to add MOA windage lines for when I use my turret for drop adjustments. The best thing about the Zeiss Z-series reticle is the 5/10mps windage marks go with each seperate drop line so you are not guessing. For whay I've seen there is no way to adjust windage on the Nikon, Burris, or Leupold(except on their Varmit version).

On the Rapid Z's, since they are SFP, the reticle can be adjusted to your load by either raising or lowering your magnification. Zeiss has an exbal calculator available that you input your data into and it will tell you the power setting that will best match the reticle to the ballistics of your load. Of course the more you know about your load and the atmospheric conditions, the more accurate the calculator will be for you.

Here is the link for the calculator: Zeiss Web Login Form

Do not want to offend anyone but a 12 year old can use the MOA system with a little practice.

That way if anything changes such as elevation, bullet wt, velocity etc you just change the formula to determine what MOA at what range. Love it for wind drift!!!

Now that I have used this system for many years would hate to have to not use it….

I am looking for a scope for a 264 win mag. I'd like to take a 300 yard zero then have hash marks at 4,5,6,7 and 800 yards. Do any of the scope manufacturers build reticles like this? What about a reticle based on actual measured drops?
If that's what you really want, give Premier a call. They'll do a reticle like that in their new 3-15 Hunter and it'll be FFP so it will work on any power.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/new-premier-3-15x50mm-hunter-65724/

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts