caliber

1989bowhunter

My 10 year old granddaughter will be going on her first cow elk hunt this year she has done well with a 22 and only weighs 51 pounds don't want to beat her up with a lot of recoil but I want to be fare to the elk to make a good clean kill thanks for any input

I would use a 243 with a 100 gr Nosler Partition with a muzzle brake. When she is practicing have her wear ear protection or it will cause a forever flinch. A Remington model 7 would work well for her.

If a person opted for a heavier caliber with a LITTLE more recoil a 7mm-08 with a 120 gr Partition or Barnes set up the same way would be a viable alternative.

We bought my son a Savage 243 with the accutrigger. Its in between their cheap one and $500.00 plus model. Bass Pro was closing them out. We got it for less then the cheaper model. Its a very accurate rifle. He's not a fan of recoil at all. We bought him a recoil pad he wears and havent had a single complaint about recoil since. Doesn't feel like much to begin with literally. His younger sister will pull the trigger on anything.

I was going to load some Berger's for it and see how they did.

I went with the 7-08 when my youngest daughter wanted to hunt elk. I had the stock shortened to fit her, installed a brake, and had the trigger worked on. I also loaded 140 gr bullets at starting velocities. She proceeded to shoot 4 elk and 4 mulies over the next 4 years. She could shoot that rifle pretty well.

Possibly a 260? If your willing to put a break on a rifle there are a good number of rifles would be great and the break would keep the recoil down. Ear protection is a must with or without the break.

270 Winchester with 150 grn jack o Connor special it will be tame with a brake my daughter is younger and lighter she loves mine that way

My brother had three girls go through this, and I am in the process of my own almost 4 daughter wanting to move up from 22 to a 223. My brothers solution was to build a heavy rifle in 260 or 7-08 for his girls and we just packed it for them then the combo of the weight of the rifle and loading the rounds down a litte seemed to help. I think the 260 has a remington varmint sendero barrel that is 22" and the 7-08 is the same contour with a 24" bbl, both weigh about 10-11 pounds

We just hooked my buddies daughter up with a 270 win with 130gr BTs and she laid her 2014 cow down no problem one shot. Her build is similar to your description of your granddaughter. Some people hate Ballistic Tips but with proper shot placement they do a fantastic job.

Eric

Ya definitely worth a try. If the recoil is a little much for her try getting the limb saver replacement butt pad for it and it'll be the ticket. The reduced recoil load might also be an option if the normal loads are to much. If you reload, pm me and I'll give you the load I use for her.

Eric

Thanks for info my boy has a 270 might just do that

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.