Caliber Suggestions...have at it

Ok well apologies to you just don't want to get into certain disscussions like what gun is better or those kind of things
Lets do this what caliber for what I'm looking to do is best?:
25-06
7mm mag
300 win mag
300 rum
6.5 creedmoor

My opinion, wich is like an armchair quarterback, is that of the calibers offered in the LRH only the lapua and the 6.5 versions have the twist to go long with enough umphs to do more than punch paper or ring steel.

Ok well apologies to you just don't want to get into certain disscussions like what gun is better or those kind of things
Lets do this what caliber for what I'm looking to do is best?:
25-06
7mm mag
300 win mag
300 rum
6.5 creedmoor

For a good all-around cartridge, availability and price considered, I would say the 300 win mag.

And this is an internet forum. People like to come here and chat about guns, and like in a regular conversation someone might have questions about why you make the choices you make....maybe in order to learn something. Nothing to get defensive about.

Any one of the calibers that rifle is available in would be ok for shooting gongs at 1000 yards. With my preference being the 300wsm. I just really like the cartridge. I have built 5 or 6 of these over the years and all have been great. The 7 the 300 mags and obviously the 338 lapua are all quite capable of taking most big game to 1000. And getting the LRH dialed in to ring gongs at 1000 is not usually that difficult. I now have all custom rifles in 300WSM, 338 Lapua, and 243 win. If I were to shoot a factory rifle this one would be on the short list. I love the Lapua but if I could only have one the 300 wsm would be my choice then followed by the 300 win.

Oh and check this recent poast out.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/1-2-moa-complete-gun-package-1k-107615/

Any one of the calibers that rifle is available in would be ok for shooting gongs at 1000 yards. With my preference being the 300wsm. I just really like the cartridge. I have built 5 or 6 of these over the years and all have been great. The 7 the 300 mags and obviously the 338 lapua are all quite capable of taking most big game to 1000. And getting the LRH dialed in to ring gongs at 1000 is not usually that difficult. I now have all custom rifles in 300WSM, 338 Lapua, and 243 win. If I were to shoot a factory rifle this one would be on the short list. I love the Lapua but if I could only have one the 300 wsm would be my choice then followed by the 300 win.

Oh and check this recent poast out.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/1-2-moa-complete-gun-package-1k-107615/

I would definitely agree with the 300wsm. This is what I shoot, but wasn't sure if the WSM was available in that platform. I'm not shooting at 1000 yards but my wife and I have had the best of luck with the 300WSM loadings out to 600 yards.....which is quite a humbling distance, especially for whitetail.

Don't get me wrong I love big guns like the 338 Lapua but it will just be too expensive for me to shoot right now. (being in college and all) If I could afford it then there would be no problem with buying that. 300 win mag I love but like I said I've already got one. Now the one I have is not capable of long distance but it makes a great deer rife but probably wouldnt trust it past about 400 not because of anything except the fact that its a cheaper made gun. Still there is something about the 6.5 cartidges that I really like.

To me the obvious thing to do would be to rebarrel the 300 Win with a custom barrel.

You already said you like it, and if you load for it you are set. The action if not cheeper in quality
so the reason it was cheeper was the stock, the finish, the trigger ETC.

A custom barrel and installation + bedding should cost less than The price of a new rifle in the
$700.00 range and definitely out shoot the existing rifle as it is.

I prefer the 300 RUM ,but if you already have a 300 Win Mag there is not a lot of difference
and the Winchester is certainly capable of long shots if fitted with a good barrel, stock and a
good trigger.

If you are set on a 6.5, Two come to mind. The 6.5x47 has a rep for being accurate. And the 260
remington (A 308 necked down to 6.5)is powerful, fits in short actions and ammo can be bought
almost anywhere at a reasonable price.

Just my opinion for what it,s worth.

J E CUSTOM

The 300 win that I already have I want to keep as my deer rifle. I want something new thay I can build up slowly as money becomes more available.

For a target or steel rifle the 260 is awsome. But if your thinking deer out too 1000 it starts to get prety iffy. Not saying it wont but would certenly not be ideal. If you plan on eventualy hunting at long range you will probably end up with a mag of 7mm or larger of some sort. The 260 would be perfect for practice at all ranges you are thinking (thats what I do with my .243) and the ammo will save ou a bunch over a magnum.

I am reading through this and see he wants someone to say go buy a savage 6.5 creedmore. So that is what you need to do and not look back.

I am reading through this and see he wants someone to say go buy a savage 6.5 creedmore. So that is what you need to do and not look back.

Well nobody has given me any reason against the creedmoor usually people will tell you why its not the best idea but nobody has really done that. Yes I'm buying a savage and yes it woll probably be a creedmoor because nobody has much to say about it thats bad. (Besides throat erosion)

Looking at the choices I would go with the 260 in a short action or the 6.5x284 in a long action. Both have the brass advantage over the Creedmore, that would be the main thing IMO. I would shoot the heck out of it and when elk hunting comes around buy a little heavier hitter.

Looking at the choices I would go with the 260 in a short action or the 6.5x284 in a long action. Both have the brass advantage over the Creedmore, that would be the main thing IMO. I would shoot the heck out of it and when elk hunting comes around buy a little heavier hitter.

+1

If you want a 6.5 Creedmoor then that,s what you should get "BUT" I think the reason most
people recomend the 260 is the brass availability (I found 4 brands and they were Rem, Lapua,Nosler and Norma) I also found 21 different types and brands of loaded ammo.

The 6.5 Creedmoor had only 7 different boxes of ammo and two brands of brass (Hornady
and Nosler.

There may be more brands and boxes of ammo for both but I couldn't find them.

Both cartriges are ballistic equal with less than 75 ft/lbs difference. So availability of componants
would be the reason for the 260 and being an offshoot of the 308 there is lots of brass with a different head stamp that is available.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.