Caliber selection?

I recently picked up a 223 wssm in a model 70 black shadow and will be loading 52 gr hh at around 4000 fps. I would expect little pelt damage and devastation inside a bobcat. But you need at least a 1-10 twist to stabilize them.

2nd the 6mmarc. Its my new favorite do it all predator rifle. 105s @2700 put em down hard to 600yds.
70s for something spicier at close range.
Short barrel AR platform for easy packing and target rich environments

Up to 250 yds I use a 22 Hornet with 45gr Winchester Hollow points very accurate and not much pelt damage. Out to about 150 yards head shots then after that the crease. Bullet travelling at honest 3000fps. Not good after that 250 mark.

22-250 seems like a solid all rounder, especially if you can find a 9 twist.

I'm a little past half way through my second 223 wssm barrel. People underestimate what 51.4 grains water capacity turned up to wsm pressure can do. That's a smidgen over 243 with more pressure on a 22 bore. I've shot 40 to 75 grainers in it, it's an absolute blast for making things explode.... but it might be a bit to much a good thing.

Wildcat world the fast twist 20-250 is enticing, bullets being the big ? Mark.

For a proper fur rifle .17 cal centerfires have no peer. No experienced fur hunter will argue that. That being said, others will also work well. Bobcats have a very tender, soft skin like a rabbit. High velocity will often cause blowback tearing a huge entrance hole with many varmint bullets. Hides can be saved with many of the smaller cartridges with a heavy for caliber Nosler partition. They will always exit usually with a quarter sized hole that can be sewn, but will leave a caliber size hole on entrance. A .17 will usually leave a hole you have to skin to find. Use a mkIV or less on bobcats and a .17 rem or bigger on coyotes. Called Bobcats are usually a short range deal. You will never see them until close. As mentioned earlier, a shotgun isn't a bad choice if you don't mind sewing lots of little holes. A .17WSM or even HMR isn't a bad choice for cats and foxes. Many areas on public land require rimfires outside deer season.

Lord knows I love a 17, spent waaaay to much money on the small pile of them I have. They are magical in the right situation. With that said wind isn't that situation. I'm only in west Texas every 3 to 5 years, usually driving across it at 85 with my eyes closed for the view.... but I do remember wind. Op states 2-400. 200 vs 350-400 are entirely different conversations. Barring breezy days nothing saves a pelt like them, every time I shoot them in wind they seem to defy the charts stated wind drift.

If only the kindler Golds were still made. Heavier ones defied the wind better than a 22. OP's best choice will be a heavy partition in .22 or 6mm if he really thinks he will see a cat that far, which I doubt, calling. They are pretty sneaky. Coyotes are a totally different conversation.

I know the 60 grain partition from my wssm is my favorite load. It's got the b.c. of one of those old gi Joe parachute toys, but fps covers a multitude of sins.

Whatever happened to the kindler gold stuff, seems like it was bought buy someone with good intentions to bring bring then back.

Truthfully much of this is the as much a bullet construction question as cartridge or caliber.

it doesn't look like anyone as truly answered your question. i use a cz 527 in .223. it has a 1:12 twist with a simple Burris 3x9 fullfield 2 ballistic plex. the chamber on a CZ is basically a wilde chamber so it shoots both well. i was using 50 and 55 grain Hornady fmj to save the hides on coyotes. i went to the 53 grain vmax because it shoots the speed of the 50 gr but has the energy of the 55 at 100 and it has a better b.c. than all of the bullets up to and including the 62 grain vmax. I've shot coyotes out to 450 yards with all the loads consistently. I've taken it out to 500 on prairie dogs. the rifle shoots well even up to the 75 grain hollow points. i wouldn't be afraid to take your choice of rifle out to 450 with the 55, 53 grain bullets. don't let the theoretical nay sayers who don't take their rifles to the field discourage you. take it to the range. take plenty of ammo to shoot 5 shot groups at 100,200.300,455,500,600. make yourself a chart of the drops at each range and the group size. when the group is to big for a clean kill that's your limit. I'm not usually going to say why i qualify to give you advice but I am a gunsmith for over 40 years experience with an emphasis on ballistics. reloading since 1978 and calling and shooting coyotes since the early 70's. you won't know how it is going to perform unless you take it to the range. aim small miss small.

Recent Posts