Caliber selection

mrb1982

I shoot a 243 and 7 rem mag with 95 and 180 grain bullets. I have a 270 win BDL I shoot 130's out of. I have a 22-250 and 223. I am looking at something new, I just don't know what yet. I am thinking another magnum long range rig. I have always wanted a 300 win with 215's but is kind of close balliatically to my 7 except a little more energy. 300 RUM sounds entertaining but when getting to that size it starts to get more spend to shoot which I am not terribly opposed to.

A couple questions to help with my decision. Also if you have any personal suggestions of preferences or thought processes on the topic go ahead and let me know what you are thinking.

1) This most likely will be a factory rig, so how much velocity can I expect to get out of 215 grain Berger's in a 26" barrel on a 300 win mag and an RUM?

2) How much velocity will I expect to see out of 230's?

Any other caliber suggestions are cool. I am leaning towards more horsepower rather than less. Just because I guess.

I have a 300 RUM with a 28" barrel. Mine shoots the 210 VLD better than the 215 Berger... if I had it all to do again, I would have gotten a 338 Lapua. Brass has been a hassle with the 300 RUM for 5 years and it's not even that high a quality. 338 will beat it in the wind and has better brass that was cheaper than 300 RUM brass for a while... Savage makes a couple great 338 Lapuas that are 1k rifles outta the box.

I shoot a 243 and 7 rem mag with 95 and 180 grain bullets. I have a 270 win BDL I shoot 130's out of. I have a 22-250 and 223. I am looking at something new, I just don't know what yet. I am thinking another magnum long range rig. I have always wanted a 300 win with 215's but is kind of close balliatically to my 7 except a little more energy. 300 RUM sounds entertaining but when getting to that size it starts to get more spend to shoot which I am not terribly opposed to.

A couple questions to help with my decision. Also if you have any personal suggestions of preferences or thought processes on the topic go ahead and let me know what you are thinking.

1) This most likely will be a factory rig, so how much velocity can I expect to get out of 215 grain Berger's in a 26" barrel on a 300 win mag and an RUM?

2) How much velocity will I expect to see out of 230's?

Any other caliber suggestions are cool. I am leaning towards more horsepower rather than less. Just because I guess.

Are you really asking for caliber or chambering? 215 and 230 Bergers are .308 caliber bullets. .300 Win Mag and .300 RUM are chamberings. Just making sure so we can provide you with a considerable sound advice you are seeking.

Are you really asking for caliber or chambering? 215 and 230 Bergers are .308 caliber bullets. .300 Win Mag and .300 RUM are chamberings. Just making sure so we can provide you with a considerable sound advice you are seeking.

Yes and yes. Lol.

I am looking at 308 or 338 capable shooting calibers.

I have lots of interest in a lapua. I have been a Remington guy for the most part but don't mind Savage. Can I get .75 MOA out of one with 300grain bullets you think?

Yes and yes. Lol.

I am looking at 308 or 338 capable shooting calibers.

I have lots of interest in a lapua. I have been a Remington guy for the most part but don't mind Savage. Can I get .75 MOA out of one with 300grain bullets you think?

Because you already have 7MM RM, I don't have hand on experience but Barrelnut's .338 LM is a sound advice, as well as the .338 RUM (brass support is slowly coming back), .338 EDGE, .338-378 WBTY, etc. That depends if you use factory ammo or handloads.

Last edited:
A little experience with a 338 LM I have been developing loads for a friend. Everything is non standard with a 338 LM. So far we have spent considerable on larger than normal items. Decap die won't work, shell holders are larger than standard mag. They use a lot of powder and have a lot of recoil. Bullets are 50 per box but same price as 100 regular bullets. It is a great cartridge but only if you need/want it. A 300 Win Mag with 212/215s would for me have just as much fun without the cost or recoil. Lauching a 300 gr bullet comes with considerable recoil. On his 4th shot out of a new gun the Vortex Razor Gen II windage turret fell off. After only 2 more, shot #6 the mount came off.
Vortex fixed the scope and I bedded a rail on and all is fine now. It has been a journey not without its issues. The Savage rifle with a chassis stock does shoot great we have groups in the .3-.5 range.
So if you are not familiar with large heavy recoiling rifles I would proceed with caution. If it sounds like I am being negative toward the 338 LM, I am not, it is just a lot of rifle we were not prepared for.
Henry

It should be noted I don't "need" anything. This purely a want item.

The 338LM would be pretty cool. I expect more recoil and more everything when going bigger than my 7.

The 300 Norma Mag has always interested me. But probably isn't a factory offering, huh? Probably have to go custom for that I assume.

Forget factory, go custom regardless of your final choice. Ill never own another factory rifle, none of them offer exactly what I want . This isn't even funny, when you open your checkbook, get what you want and don't compromise.

That is a thought.

My dream custom was always a 300 win mag with a 28" barrel but I keep talking myself in and out of everything!

300 Norma, use the 230/225 class bullets. Lapua and hornady are making brass. The trend is moving that way.
Or rebarrel a tikka to a 6.5prc, would be a fun cartridge to play around with

How about one of the 6.5mm offerings? 260 Rem, 6.5mm Creedmoor, 6.5x47mm Lapua?

If you're still thinking bigger consider the 338 RUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts