Caliber opinions for build

I think roughrice has the obvious solution. Run a 7 mm expander ball through those 6.5 brass and rock on.

Hello, looking for some advice/opinions. Last year I put together a LH Tikka T3x chambered in 6.5 Sherman Max, 7.5 twist 24" lightweight contour, that I have considered parting out and starting over. Soon after I ordered the barrel I had second thoughts about the chambering. Rethinking I might have been better with something in the .284 flavor. Target species for this rifle is whitetail and up to someday elk, moose. 500-600 yards. I have several other rifles that will fill the role for 90% of the hunting I normally do, although this is only one of two that are left handed.
Will be using a prefit barrel as I have all of the proper tools. Also looking to have a 20-22" lightweight barrel that's threaded this time.
Factory Tikka long action magnum bolt face. What would you pick?
1. Don't go less than 22".
2. Short and light will be unpleasant to shoot if you go too powerful. (Think practice, not the one or two shots you take hunting.)

Since you have the 6.5 Sherman MAX, and want a bigger brother with a long reach.....338 Sherman MAX. I would say 30 Sherman Mag, but that is more suited for 26-28" barrels, IMO.

The .270 WSM with, the140 Berger, Classic Hunters at, 3,175 FPS is still going OVER,.. 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards, W/ 24" bbl.
That's farther than, I realistically want, to shoot at, Elk / Moose as, the WIND has, a LOT to say about making ETHICAL "Hits" !
The 7 SAUM and 7mm Rem Mag. with, 168's are also, "Killers" that will stay up with, the .270 WSM at, 800 Yards.
The 270 and 7 MM Bullets ARE way easier to find than, the 6.5's that EVERBODY and their Mother in Law,.. shoots !
PRACTICE, "Real World" Hunting shots at, 10-11" Steel Plates,.. off Hand, Sitting and Prone !
Those 3 Cartridges, CAN be shot, accurately, WITHOUT a "Brake" and NOT developing, a flinch, by MOST People.
SCRAP the .338 WM as too much Recoil for, "Practicing" and the 7 WSM as NO Brass available and the short, Neck !

Last edited:
Not sure what on earth a 6.5 Sherman Max is but I"m for thinking it'll more than likely do all that you need and going to 7 of some kind just won't buy you enough difference to justify going thru that time and expense.

Elk to 500-600 yards just isn't rocket science. Done every fall out here via a 25/06, 270, 308,6.5 CM etc.........

Elk are, shot / Killed, SUCCESSFULLY every year with, the Cartridges noted by dogz in, the above Post ^^ but,..
PRACTICING "Field shooting" and picking the "right" Bullet, for YOUR Rifle, is even MORE important than, the Cartridge used.
And, LEARNING HOW to,.. "read", the,. WIND !
Yup it's, a "Big Deal" , out past, 300/ 400 Yards !

Last edited:
I recommend a 24 inch barrel. I just made a 22" 300 WSM and wish I had gone 24". If weight is an issue use a carbon wrapped barrel. Consider 300 WSM or 7mm Remington mag. Or Remington SAUM. It's nice to have calibers that you can easily find brass for. For tikka actions I favor the Short action mags since the tikka actions give you plenty of room to lengthen out that bullet on a short action. My personal favorite is 300 WSM but a 7mm version is also a fine choice.

Oh hey, whoa.... I was only regurgitating the minimum recommended pounds of energy recommended for Elk. Those were the smallest cases I found that could guarantee that. Lastly my post wasn't directed towards anyone except the OP I didn't realize this was a dispute thread. If that's the case then whatever you said was probably the best answer possible and I should not have posted. Signed, "old dude".

Usually magazine length is the limiting factor for Tikka actions, especially in a 7 Rem Mag. I'd seriously look at doing a 300 WSM or stay with one of the larger Sherman cartridges. Like it was pointed out, you already have the brass. Not sure why you're getting rid of the 6.5 Sherman, it's a really great cartridge.

My dedicated elk rifle is a 300 WSM and it just dumps elk. Rifle is light and not noticeable on my shoulder when going up and down the mountains chasing elk.