Caliber opinions for build

JasonAL

Hello, looking for some advice/opinions. Last year I put together a LH Tikka T3x chambered in 6.5 Sherman Max, 7.5 twist 24" lightweight contour, that I have considered parting out and starting over. Soon after I ordered the barrel I had second thoughts about the chambering. Rethinking I might have been better with something in the .284 flavor. Target species for this rifle is whitetail and up to someday elk, moose. 500-600 yards. I have several other rifles that will fill the role for 90% of the hunting I normally do, although this is only one of two that are left handed.
Will be using a prefit barrel as I have all of the proper tools. Also looking to have a 20-22" lightweight barrel that's threaded this time.
Factory Tikka long action magnum bolt face. What would you pick?

I built a 284 long range bench rifle with Criterion prefit and it shoots great!
So sweet in fact that I'm getting ready to do a hunting rig with same caliber to shoot the same handload.
Just the right amount of punch for either species with the right selection of bullets available.
Oddly... several people are circling back to the good ole trusty 284 Win after trying several of the newer offerings.
Lapua just released their straight 284 Win cases which makes me believe people are re-gaining interest in one of the most efficient "all around" cartridges ever developed.

Dammit... Didn't see your last sentence that states magnum bolt... so that parent case is out of question.
Therefore I'd do 7mm Rem Magnum and live with the little bit of velocity loss from shorter barrel or 7 SAUM or 7 WSM which may not lose quite as much velocity with shorter barrel.

May experience feeding issues with the latter.

Forgot to add I'm running the factory tikka stock that I opened the barrel channel out for the prefit barrel, and I am using Mountain Tactical mags with the 6.5 MAX and did not have any feeding issues with them.

Ok Mazdanaysa...
You are right about 162 ELD-X, I wouldn't recommend them for a 1500 pound elk because of their inconsistent behavior... but my buddy planted a nice one with a 30-06 with Factory 165 grain core lokt. So a well chosen bullet brand in 165 grain class will absolutely put that big boy down with the rightly placed shot. (not saying to get a core lokt)
I know... sometimes the rightly placed shot is not given. My buddy shot his quartering in behind the shoulder and the bullet went in... ripped the lungs, got in some gut and turned back out at same angle and went through the entry side hind quarter and left a hole that you could put a golf ball in.
If you read my post #2... I said "with the right bullet selection". I didn't say 162 Eld-x.
The 284 Win can send 175-180's down range at pretty good pace... certainly enough to put a 1500 pound elk down at its intended retained energy range for a humane kill shot.
Lastly... If you read correctly... as you recommended I did say 7 Rem Magnum or 7 SAUM or 7 WSM would be good choices since he has a magnum bolt face.
Also, I did say the 300 WSM recommended in the earlier post was a great caliber.
The OP did say he was interested in the 7mm flavor.

600 yard shot on a 1500 pound elk...Yeah, Probably beyond the affective kill range for a 284 Winchester, at least for me... so I brought my 300 Win Mag for that.

I agree with the big super-fast speed cartridges to compensate for barrel length but be prepared for the consequences... those need a longer barrel to get the speed wanted. Shorter barrels will yield a tremendous fireball and deafening explosion (if that's what you want while hunting). Just saying...
That's all great... but is all of that big power and speed really needed to make a humane kill? Maybe for some.
The only magnum rifle in my stash is the almighty 50 year old cartridge called 300 Winchester Magnum for any game at distance the standard cases can't or wouldn't handle.
Hell,...Just look around and see how many Ultra-Mags, Weatherby Mags and mostly... big Nosler rifles that were bought for hunting and are looking to move down the road with low round counts!!
Well. Just sayin'

Dammit... Didn't see your last sentence that states magnum bolt... so that parent case is out of question.
Therefore I'd do 7mm Rem Magnum and live with the little bit of velocity loss from shorter barrel or 7 SAUM or 7 WSM which may not lose quite as much velocity with shorter barrel.

May experience feeding issues with the latter.
Ok. How about 7 WSM and BARNES Tipped TSX 150 GRAIN FROM A 23 IN BBL