Caliber Help 6.5 PRC or SAUM or leave a 270 wsm

I've got a 7mm WSM, and I load it down. It shoots great, and kills elk, and everything else with authority. Learn to reload if you don't know how. The .270 WSM is a great cartridge, with lots of potential and later your son will love it.

My son has been shooting a 270 wsm since he was 11. I loaded down the 130's for him and as he got bigger and stronger we went up to full power loads. 140's, 150's and 160 grain partitions for elk. I guess people don't understand the horsepower of this cartridge?!?! 129 lrx at 3400, 140s at 3200 and 150s at 3100 are pretty solid performers on any deer in North America. I'd say your son is set for life with that WSM.

I agree to try the 270 WSM. The recoil (and performance) of those three cartridges is pretty close, so if recoil is the only consideration, braking the 270 WSM would be the simplest thing to do.
If your mainly shooting at game less than 500 yards that 270 WSM, assuming it's accurate and you add a brake it will do everything you need.

6.5 PRC all the way, it's an amazing cartridge, low recoil and a pleasure to shoot for hunting or targets, cheap factory ammo, a few brass choices now if you reload.
I've built 3 and have a few more on the way.

Get a long action bolt stop, and one the Hells Canyon billet short mag magazines. It'll allow you to actually reach the lands with hand loads, increasing performance maximizing available powder space. The 10 twist factory barrel will stabilize everything up to 150gr accept the heavier hammer bullets. Nothing wrong with 270wsm. The Tikka action does make a great donor for wsm/saum/Sherman short builds. The 3.4" mag will allow to load any heavy for call bullet out to base of bearing surfacw in neck as long as you throat the chamber accordingly. I have a few saum builds on Tikka and they all turned out fantastic!

Would u suggest the bolt stop and mag even keeping. 270 wsm
If you're going to stay with factory twist and shoot <150gr bullets it's not necessary. Personally I'd rebarrel to a 1:8 twist and shoot 170 Bergers. 150s will do just fine inside 500y though.

That's sthing I didn't think about i didnt think about. My initial thought if rebarrel go to the 6.5 and do the bolt stop and HC mags hadn't thought about keeping 270 wsm and going to a 1:8.

That's sthing I didn't think about i didnt think about. My initial thought if rebarrel go to the 6.5 and do the bolt stop and HC mags hadn't thought about keeping 270 wsm and going to a 1:8.
You've only got 3 heavy high BC bullets in 270,170 Berger and 165/175 matrix. Matrix is still looking for import liscense from Oh CA na da. But they should have that kink fixed soon. 270 will kill. @bigngreen has killed a lot of elk with 270wsm and matrix bullets.

Nothing a 270 WSM spitting out a 150ish gr bullet at 3100 FPS can't handle. Stick with it, shoot out the barrel then you can look into other cartridges. Very minimal gains from 6.5 bullet selections. Definitely not worth it just based on performance

Agreed!! And I have yet to shoot a tikka that wasn't accurate! And looking at it dam
Near ballisticlly identical to my 280ai getting 143 HHs going 3180 and let's be honest the HH 153s usually weigh 145

I have a 270 wsm Tikka T3 that I shot for 9 years and collected over 50 deer and elk with 140 grain Accubonds and 150 grain Interbonds. 30 to 700 yards and never had an issue. Nearly all were one shot kills. Last year I put a 1:8 twist barrel and it's shooting 170 grain Berger EOL's at 3000 fps with great accuracy out to 1300 yds. Few cartridges and bullet combo's can out pace it by much. Deer and elk sure can't tell. They all die quickly and quietly. I have a 6.5 and a 7 mag but there's something about this 270 wsm I just keep grabbing it out of the safe. Good luck to you and happy shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts