Caliber for wild boar.

robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

Here in the UK wild boar hunting is a relatively new sport and I am in the process of getting permission to get a new caliber rifle for wild boar.

I am considering a .308 for the job (Is that a good option?) and was hoping you guys could advise me.

I was hoping to get a rifle that shoots 200grain bullets accurately up to 1000yds as well as I am also hoping to do some long range shooting in New Zealand next year after deer and goat.

I am lead to believe that the heavier bullets work better at long range as they cut through the wind better.

Is this right or wrong ???

I will be shooting long range with the rifle climbing mountains after goats etc in New Zealand and going on driven wild boar shoots in Poland.

Your advice as ever means a lot to me.

So, please advise on the following;

1. What rifle/rifles? (One preferably)
  2. What caliber?
  3. What weight bullet?
  4. What barrel twist rate?
Fire away guys, what do you think???

lightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulb

Last edited:
The 308 winchester is not going to push a 200g bullet fast enought to be and efficent killer at 1000 yards. If you want to shoot a 200g 308 bullets fast enough to be effictive on game at 1000 yards the starting point should be a 300 WSM and go up from there 300 win mag, 300 weatherby mag, 300 RUM, 30-378 weatherby mag etc.

I dont know what it is like in Europe as far as ammo and rifles go so its hard to say go get an xxxx rifle and a yyyy bullet

If you where here I would say any 300 mag would be what you want. As far as bullets go 210g Berger VLD ,200g Nosler ACCUBOND whould be my choice.

The 308 winchester is not going to push a 200g bullet fast enought to be and efficent killer at 1000 yards. If you want to shoot a 200g 308 bullets fast enough to be effictive on game at 1000 yards the starting point should be a 300 WSM and go up from there 300 win mag, 300 weatherby mag, 300 RUM, 30-378 weatherby mag etc.

I dont know what it is like in Europe as far as ammo and rifles go so its hard to say go get an xxxx rifle and a yyyy bullet

If you where here I would say any 300 mag would be what you want. As far as bullets go 210g Berger VLD ,200g Nosler ACCUBOND whould be my choice.

What sort of effective killing range for a large deer should I expect from a 200grain .308 winchester ?

Would it be 400-600-800yds ???

If you are coming down to shoot in New Zealand I have had great success on pigs, goats, Thar, Chamois and deer with a Remington 700 in 7mm Magnum, no problem with ammo supplies.

If you are coming down to shoot in New Zealand I have had great success on pigs, goats, Thar, Chamois and deer with a Remington 700 in 7mm Magnum, no problem with ammo supplies.

+1

If ammo for the 7mm Rem Mag is not a problem or the 300 Win Mag they both will do the job
at 1000 yards.

Use bullets in the 160 to 170grain range in the 7mm and 180 to 200 grain bullets in the
300 Win Mag.

If you can buy/build a 300 RUM and find ammo this will cover any thing you want to hunt.

J E CUSTOM

+1

If ammo for the 7mm Rem Mag is not a problem or the 300 Win Mag they both will do the job
at 1000 yards.

Use bullets in the 160 to 170grain range in the 7mm and 180 to 200 grain bullets in the
300 Win Mag.

If you can buy/build a 300 RUM and find ammo this will cover any thing you want to hunt.

J E CUSTOM

What rifle do you think would be suitable for long range shooting as well dealing with driven boar ???

And in what caliber???

What rifle do you think would be suitable for long range shooting as well dealing with driven boar ???

And in what caliber???

Long range and driven are almost impossible for one rifle.

For long range a Rem Sendero or a savage (26'' heavy barrel) in any of the magnum cartriges
With a 4x+ to 20 power scope works very good.

For driven/Running boar I like the short barreled Big bore rifle with a red dot or low power
scope for quick shots.

I just recently bought a 450 bushmaster (AR platform) that fits the bill for big hogs and
quick follow up shots. Any of the big bore ARs will work for this type of hunting.

It's hard to find a rifle that will do every thing well so I recomend that in order to get the
most of a rifle it almost has to be specialized.

The big magnums will definitely work on big hogs but a running shot is diffacult with a long
range rifle set up.

J E CUSTOM

I have killed a lot of wild boar here in southern Ca. Using multiple rounds include. 7mm rem mag. .270win. .300rum. 30-30win and. 357mag handgun. And honestly for the best all around usage, the 7mm rem mag was the best. The. 300rum is great also but for shorter range moving targets, my 24" barreled m700 7mag works great.

I have killed a lot of wild boar here in southern Ca. Using multiple rounds include. 7mm rem mag. .270win. .300rum. 30-30win and. 357mag handgun. And honestly for the best all around usage, the 7mm rem mag was the best. The. 300rum is great also but for shorter range moving targets, my 24" barreled m700 7mag works great.

Years ago I was In CA and got involved in the Running Boar Matches (500 meters at a moving
target) and built a short ,heavy barreled 7/08 and It was a perfect combo for this type of
shooting . But a real Boar that is intent on ruining your day is a different thing all together.

That Is why I would recomend a Large/big bore for stopping power. we have lots(to many)
pigs and when they charge you a big bore or shotgun becomes nessary to change the
outcome in your favor.

As you know they can be very dangerous and there is no such thing as to much gun in these
situations.

Just an opinion.

J E CUSTOM

+1 for 7mm RM.

There is plenty of factory ammo available over here.

If you reload there is even more options.

I have used 140 BT in a 7mmwsm & 7mmsaum very effectively on pigs & deer.

The 162 Amax is a great alround long range bullet beyond 3-400 yards.

It is a very popular cartridge over here, not as much grunt as a RUM but not as much recoil & fuss either.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.