Caliber for Pronghorn....

The stars aligned, I drew a antelope tag in unit 33 in New Mexico. As this units west boundary is maybe 10 miles from where I live, I know the area well. Hunt coyotes in an area that has a good population of animals, so that is where I'll start. Shots could go from 200- 800 yards so caliber choice is wide open. I have in Savage custom bbl's a 6XC, 6.5X284, a Browning A bolt in 7mag, Custom Rem 700 in 300 RUM, and a Savage long range hunter in 6.5 Creed, as well as a AR 10 custom in 6.5Creed. I wouldn't consider any of them if they weren't capable of sub 1" 100 yd groups, and have shot all of them to 500 meters....trying to balance out bullet weight/energy of each choice for shots that might reach 5-6 hundred yards....I shoot competition out to 500 meters twice a month, so I am practiced at 200,3,4,and 500 meters (547 yards). Any input would be great...rsbhunter
All of those are very capable. Like everyone has said choose the combo that you are most comfortable with and use a premium bullet that bucks the wind. Accubond LR or ELDX would be my choice. Antelope are my favorite gig game to hunt. Good luck

The stars aligned, I drew a antelope tag in unit 33 in New Mexico. As this units west boundary is maybe 10 miles from where I live, I know the area well. Hunt coyotes in an area that has a good population of animals, so that is where I'll start. Shots could go from 200- 800 yards so caliber choice is wide open. I have in Savage custom bbl's a 6XC, 6.5X284, a Browning A bolt in 7mag, Custom Rem 700 in 300 RUM, and a Savage long range hunter in 6.5 Creed, as well as a AR 10 custom in 6.5Creed. I wouldn't consider any of them if they weren't capable of sub 1" 100 yd groups, and have shot all of them to 500 meters....trying to balance out bullet weight/energy of each choice for shots that might reach 5-6 hundred yards....I shoot competition out to 500 meters twice a month, so I am practiced at 200,3,4,and 500 meters (547 yards). Any input would be great...rsbhunter
.300 win mag it has a wide range of bullets it will shoot fast and flat

Your choice, all good for antelope. I took this one last fall using 6.5 CM-143 ELD-X, 380 yds from the top of the bluff behind me. One and down.

Attachments

• Wyoming Antelope 2021.jpg
    Wyoming Antelope 2021.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 89
How about the Orginal long range antelope rifle 270 130 grain Its been working very well for almost 90 years, all these Newbys are just playing catch up.

Shot my first pronghorn with a .270 using off the shelf Remington Cor-Lokt 48 years ago when I was 11 years old. You don't need a magnum caliber and don't need anything bigger than .30 caliber. From what you own, would go with 6.5-284 or Creedmoor and shoot a a Nosler Ballistsic tip or a competitors new fangled low drag rapid expansion bullet. You are not shooting a thick shinned water buffalo...........

First, congratulations on your draw (most draws in Idaho are tough);
Second, you have the right rifles: the 6mm, 6.5mm & 7mm will give you antelope bullet options from 90gr through 160gr;
Third, if you scout pre-season, look into an antelope life size silhouette decoy (I've seen guys "sneak" to within 50 yards of smaller herds; and,
Fourth, pm LRH member lancetkenyon and as for advice (he's got antelope hunting wired 😊).

The 6XC wears a Zeiss conquest (old model) 6.5-20 with a custom calibrated elevation dial.....the 6.5x284 will be wearing a Sightron SIII 10-50 Moa with dial turrets. The only reason I almost jokingly mentioned the 300 RUM is that with Berger Hunting VLD's at 3150 fps, it shoots INCREDIBLE !!! I have 2 Savage Model 12 target actions with a custom 28" Krieger and one with a 26" Patriot Valley Arms bbl in 6mm Norma Dasher that won't shoot as tight at 500 yds as the RUM does....picture below, was from a couple years ago, but had 2 groups at different times that shot under .750 at 500 yards...second group I took it out, shot only one 3 shot group, and it was .750.....rsbhunter

Attachments

• IMG_20191113_1037183_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20191113_1037183_rewind.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 101
Glad you got a tag. Antelope are fun to hunt. I've shot them with 30-06, 7x30 waters, and 257 Roberts AI. Any rifle you mentioned would work. It doesn't take a big rifle to kill them but accurate shot placement. I hope to get a tag this year in WY and plan to use a 6.5 Creedmoor or PRC. The hard part of antelope hunting is judging a big one.