Caliber for piggies

A good friend of mine had a KA pig turn to face him right after ignition. What was a broadside shot with a 180gr. .30-06 became a gristle plate shot. Worse, the ricochet off the gristle plate bounced again off a rock outcropping and caught one of the flankers in the thigh and just above the belt on his left. Note that they were line abreast, the flankers were not leading the shooter. Now they had a ****ed-off pig charging the shooter and a hunting partner who was leaking profusely. Pig died at the shooter's feet because it ran out of blood (leaking out of 4 more -06 holes), not because it changed its mind about death and mayhem to the shooter. Sad part was that they had to leave the pig to get the flanker to a hospital.

In my mind the caliber to choose isn't the minimum that will do the job in a perfect shot. The caliber to choose is the one that will still do the job when something goes wrong.

I reload so I went to the 300 Hamr by Wilson. Bought a barrel and a 300 Blk magazine and was on my merry way. Super accurate and effective on hogs under 200 yards.

I have been hog hunting in Texas a half dozen times. Used a 308 Lever Revolution and a 30-30 and never had any issues. Shot fifteen to twenty hogs between the trips. We were shooting at 100 yards or less. Your 308 or the 6.5 Creedmore should work just fine with good quality bullets. IMO the 300 MAG is to much.

I have no hogs in PA, never shot one either, so I'm no authority in practice or otherwise.

However, I can pass on the following observation:

Todd Huey of LoneStar Boars is a hog exterminator in TX. His weapon of choice is a AR-6.8 SPC. His goal is to kill as many as possible. He shoots other calibers to appease his YouTube viewers, but always returns to his 6.8 SPC. He did shoot a 277 Wolverine once (6.8 SPC's little brother) with great success. Usually, his maximum range is up to +/- 200 yards, as he hunts mostly at night with night vision.

IMO, if I was hunting in the daytime, with up to +/- 300 yards limit, I'd pick the 6.5CM, loaded with either a Barnes TSX, TTSX, or LRX in the heaviest bullet weight available. My shooting platform?
*For trophy or meat hunting...bolt rifle.

*With a "Kill them all and let God sort 'em out" mentally...AR-10.

Either way, I envy you having a hog hunting opportunity. I would love to try it sometime.

Blessings on your adventure!
Just wait, they'll be there. The latest info has
I have no hogs in PA, never shot one either, so I'm no authority in practice or otherwise.

However, I can pass on the following observation:

Todd Huey of LoneStar Boars is a hog exterminator in TX. His weapon of choice is a AR-6.8 SPC. His goal is to kill as many as possible. He shoots other calibers to appease his YouTube viewers, but always returns to his 6.8 SPC. He did shoot a 277 Wolverine once (6.8 SPC's little brother) with great success. Usually, his maximum range is up to +/- 200 yards, as he hunts mostly at night with night vision.

IMO, if I was hunting in the daytime, with up to +/- 300 yards limit, I'd pick the 6.5CM, loaded with either a Barnes TSX, TTSX, or LRX in the heaviest bullet weight available. My shooting platform?
*For trophy or meat hunting...bolt rifle.

*With a "Kill them all and let God sort 'em out" mentally...AR-10.

Either way, I envy you having a hog hunting opportunity. I would love to try it sometime.

Blessings on your adventure!
Just wait, there will be hogs all over in a few years. According to the PA Game Commission, there are populations in southwest, south-central, and northeast PA. There has also been sightings in Butler, Cambria, and a few other counties, as well.

I have helped a bunch of people shoot their first hog and their tenth hog. I use a 6.5 grendel, bolt and semi most the time, I have killed them with an bow, crossbow, airgun, 17 hmr, 17 wsm, 22lr. all manner of high powered rifle .223 - 7mm mag, lever actions .38cal to 45-70, pistol calibers .38, .357, 45 long colt, I am sure I am forgetting half a dozen. I live in central Florida and we have loads of them, but they are not bullet proof. I did see a Winchester XP in .308 blow a hole the size of a man's fist in a hogs shoulder - the bullet blew up and didn't enter the vitals. I believe they are tough to kill because of anatomy and kill zone. I head/neck shoot most of them with a rifle/expanding bullet. I would not use a "frangible" bullet and try to shoulder shoot one. I am inclosing an article on hogs I show everyone I take hunting - https://texasboars.com/shop/wild-boar-anatomy-kill-zone-a-2.html

1603732133602.jpeg

#350lb feeder, this hog weighs over 400lbs.
1603732325127.jpeg

I would choose the 300win mag or 45-70 on him.

Too many variables to answer with one caliber. Where do you typically hunt?
200-300 acre wheat fields or small wooded plots? Do you have to carry your gear for a long ways? Do you care about harvesting your kills? Are your pigs all nocturnal?
My scenario is heavily wooded small open areas always at night in close proximity to feeders. I'm 67. I'm not lugging around an AR 10 platform. I shoot off sticks. I don't care if the hogs run off after being shot. The buzzards tell me where they stopped running. It's my property and they tear the s@%t out of my pecan orchard.
I use a 300 Blackout semi auto with Barnes 110 Vortex ammo. I've tried all 300 sub sonic made and it's no bueno
But, every situation is different
55B2178A-C3D5-42D0-9CFD-A9FEFD29D2AB.jpeg
6E5AE591-3FF6-4F2C-AB3A-D08052F40C7B.jpeg
037AB69F-4A2D-4191-9C9B-FD96C0E2B1E7.jpeg

I have a small ranch in Texas, and have killed a lot of hogs. As stated earlier shot placement matters, I have found my 308 does the best at those ranges you mentioned. I have used a 6mm CM but always a head shot. have fun!!

We used .223, 6.8 SPC, and AR-10 in .308 for several years. The .308 was noticably more effective than the other two cartridges but they all worked on the smaller pigs. Then we got on a ranch that had some legit 200+ lb boars and the .223 and 6.8 were not performing well. Pigs taking multiple hits and we were unable to recover all of them. Last year we switched to the .458 SOCOM. Hits like a hammer and we didn't lose one pig. Most drop on the spot or leave great blood trails, short blood trails. Most of our shots were 100 yds or less with an occasional 200yd shot. We jump shoot em in the thick stuff during the day, sit blinds at dusk, and use thermals to sneak up on them at feeders at night. It is one of my favorite hunting trips.

I have killed several hogs over my 36 years of hunting them. I go to my good ole 30-06 and it has never failed me. I do agree that a strong bullet should be used but I have killed many a hog with the good ole corelock. I handload and use grand slams, partitions and a frames as well with equal results.

Several friends use the 308 with good results as well. Some shoot magnum calibers and they work great especially if there is a long range shot to be had.

I live in Texas, shoot them year round. I use a .308 and have no problem.My friend uses a 300 blackout same no issues.I'm going to try a 25-06 at one of my local haunts will post results. PS I have also killed them with a bow @ 45 yards or less.Like @Josh06 said they are not that hard to kill.

I've hunted them with a bow in Oklahoma and had good luck with 100 grain broadheads, only one, a 295 lb pg required a second arrow.
I've also got 30-30's, but haven't played with them recently. Also have a lever .38/.357 marlin lever.
Guessing the Kimber 6.5 or the tikka 6.5 or tikka .308 will be along, and maybe some lever action fun.

Don't over think it. They are tough, not bulletproof. I've been killing them since I was 6 with a 25-06 with cheap Remington core lokt. Go for head or neck. Have fun and enjoy our wonderful state. Lastly shoot as many hogs as possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.