Caliber for piggies

jonseim

I've got .223, 6.5 creedmoor, .260 rem, .308, 300 win mag, 9mm, .45 lc, and wonder what the preferred is for piggies at 1-300 yds.
All about the same level of confidence and I'd love to hear favorite cartridges for piggies in TX between Christmas and New Years.
Thanks,
Jon

I've got .223, 6.5 creedmoor, .260 rem, .308, 300 win mag, 9mm, .45 lc, and wonder what the preferred is for piggies at 1-300 yds.
All about the same level of confidence and I'd love to hear favorite cartridges for piggies in TX between Christmas and New Years.
Thanks,
Jon

I'd say it depends on the area you are hunting.

There is a saying with car engines - "There is no replacement for displacement" and I'd agree with that for hog hunting. A .223 will kill a hog, but the larger calibers you mentioned will hit harder.

Will you have multiple shots, or are you after a trophy? When I lived in SC, I took multiple guns with me, since my hunting sites varied. One that was in a small clearing in a pine forest consistently produced larger hogs. Multiple shots were unlikely, so I took the 300WM. I'd take my AR10 when I went to a feeder that was in the middle of a 200 acre field so I could get multiple shots.

Bottom line is use what you feel appropriate for the setting. Shot placement is critical since they are tough little critters.

I also take 2 guns usually since some shots can be close and others quite a ways out. Combination of either an AR10, .45-70 and .338 W.M. Those things are tough unless you can head shoot.

I have no hogs in PA, never shot one either, so I'm no authority in practice or otherwise.

However, I can pass on the following observation:

Todd Huey of LoneStar Boars is a hog exterminator in TX. His weapon of choice is a AR-6.8 SPC. His goal is to kill as many as possible. He shoots other calibers to appease his YouTube viewers, but always returns to his 6.8 SPC. He did shoot a 277 Wolverine once (6.8 SPC's little brother) with great success. Usually, his maximum range is up to +/- 200 yards, as he hunts mostly at night with night vision.

IMO, if I was hunting in the daytime, with up to +/- 300 yards limit, I'd pick the 6.5CM, loaded with either a Barnes TSX, TTSX, or LRX in the heaviest bullet weight available. My shooting platform?
*For trophy or meat hunting...bolt rifle.

*With a "Kill them all and let God sort 'em out" mentality...AR-10.

Either way, I envy you having a hog hunting opportunity. I would love to try it sometime.

Blessings on your adventure!

Last edited:
I have no hogs in PA, never shot one either, so I'm no authority in practice or otherwise.

Todd Huey of LoneStar Boars is a hog exterminator in TX. His weapon of choice is a AR-6.8 SPC. His goal is to kill as many as possible. He shoots other calibers to appease his YouTube viewers, but always returns to his 6.8 SPC. He did shoot a 277 Wolverine once (6.8 SPC's little brother) with great success. Usually, his maximum range is up to +/- 200 yards, as he hunts mostly at night with night vision.

IMO, if I was hunting in the daytime, with up to +/- 300 yards limit, I'd pick the 6.5CM, loaded with either a Barnes TSX, TTSX, or LRX in the heaviest bullet weight available. My shooting platform?

*With a "Kill them all and let God sort 'em out" mentally...AR-10.

Either way, I envy you having a hog hunting opportunity. I would love to try it sometime.

Todd is a hog killing machine. His current gun of choice is a belt fed M240 machine gun. Check out his FB page for videos.

When you shoot them in the face or ear hole it practically doesn't matter the caliber. I've killed pigs with everything from a 223 to a 338 Lapua. All DRT.

Now I pig hunt primarily with my 6.5 Grendel. It hits the sweet spot for me but I've never not shot a pig because of the caliber of rifle I hand in hand.

When you shoot them in the face or ear hole it practically doesn't matter the caliber. I've killed pigs with everything from a 223 to a 338 Lapua. All DRT.

Now I pig hunt primarily with my 6.5 Grendel. It hits the sweet spot for me but I've never not shot a pig because of the caliber of rifle I hand in hand.

I wanted to mention the 6.5 Grendel in my previous post, but it wasn't on his original list of calibers.

Excellent choice, though. đź‘Ť

Thanks,
Jon
I mean any of them will kill a pig. I've had more run off with a 223. Espically if there's multiple pigs and they start to run off after the first shot. However it is the lightest recoiling, and there's the benefit of AR platforms for that. I really like the 6.5 creedmoor (260 is practically the same ballistically). The 45lc is just flat out cool though. I use a 6.5 grendel AR myself, bigger bullet but has Benefits of the semi auto. The guy that said no replacement for displacement is onto something I think, never thought about that saying in the terms of bullets

Whichever one you want tbh. Shots on pigs are going to be fairly close, and you don't need a cannon. I've killed pigs with 22-250, 223, 243, 6.5grendel, 7mm rm, etc. All will kill em dead if you hit em in the right spot. Don't overthink it. Just grab your favorite rifle that you trust the most, and put em down.

Whatever you bring, load it with a sturdy bullet. Pigs (in my opinion, anyway) are hammer/accubond/partition territory. They are not bullet proof by any stretch, but are definitely tough.

Also, pig anatomy puts their lungs in a slightly different position than deer. Google "Texas Boars Hog Kill Zone" and you'll eventually find a well photographed article outlining the hogs vitals.

If it were me I'd load a 152 sledge hammer and blast away. I use the same bullet in my 300wsm at about 3300....

I'm in Arkansas and have 2 favorites for hog hunting. 6.5 Grendel and 458 Socom both in the AR15 platform. Both are VERY accurate. The 458 hits like the hammer of Thor and will reach 200-250 yards with no problem. The Grendel is a 12" pistol and is very quick and handy and is devastating with the 110 Chaos bullets. It's been stated before- Don't overthink it.

If you're trying to kill one big trophy type hog, the 308 or 300WM. If you'll be in a situation for multiple shots, the 223 assuming it's an ar15....if not whatever you can shoot fastest. They aren't as hard to kill as the internets lead you to believe, lol. I've killed them with 223 (62gr tsx), 243, 6.5cm, 7mm-08 and 30-06 but what i use most is an ar15 in 7.62x40wt with a 115gr lehigh defense total choas.

*With a "Kill them all and let God sort 'em out" mentally...AR-10.

I use the 6.8 soc also works great on pig with the vortex hog scope

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.