caliber for gun build

Bud Martin

I have a short action 700 varmit special currently in 6mm and bought a new lilja 27 inch tube yesterday in 7mm bore. looking for some suggestions on a caliber that will work in the s.a. to make a good 500 plus yard varmit to deer gun.

Bunch of good cartridges will meet your requirements. All the way from the tiny 7mm PPC to the 7mm WSM. Kinda depends on how fast you want to get the bullet to 500yds and how much barrel life you want/need.

The 7mm-08 is a good compromise in the spectrum of short action 7mm's.

AJ

I dont think the 284 will work in a SA unless he doesnt want to use it as a repeater.... Its too long. Interesting read on that article, man that 243 with the 115 DTAC is the hot ticket, blows everything else outta the water, looks like the only thing close is the 7mm WSM.

7mm-08 since you already bought a 7mm tube. But a 260 (6.5-08) or a 243 would have done the trick too.
There is nothing wrong with the 6mm barrel that is on the gun, only had a couple hundred rounds through it. I already have 2 other 6mm's a couple .243's built for 500 yard capability, a .264 win and a .338 win for 1000 yard dog and deer shooting all topped with mark 4's, problem is the 264 gets to hot and eats a barrel every year. I'm kind of looking for somthing that might take it's place. my smith is not to keen on the .284 ( he don't have the newer short throat reamer) what about a 7x57 ackley? anybody now anything about it?

There is nothing wrong with the 6mm barrel that is on the gun, only had a couple hundred rounds through it. I already have 2 other 6mm's a couple .243's built for 500 yard capability, a .264 win and a .338 win for 1000 yard dog and deer shooting all topped with mark 4's, problem is the 264 gets to hot and eats a barrel every year. I'm kind of looking for somthing that might take it's place. my smith is not to keen on the .284 ( he don't have the newer short throat reamer) what about a 7x57 ackley? anybody now anything about it?

That was my 1st wildcat many years ago 7x57AI loaded OL is 3.065" alittle long for the Rem short action may need a Wyatt magazine would also work for the 284. You can buy new bolt for the WSM from Pacific sell the old one do a 7WSM,7-08. With the good brass now for the 6.5x284 necking it up to 7mm be easy. I have a pretty good gunsmith that does my work and I value his judgement but if I wanted a 284 he build one for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.