Caliber for deer hunting suppressed /subsonic

Subsonic to 300 yards, you won't have enough adjustment for elevation and range estimation will be hyper-critical. You can either give up half of the range you want (at which point you may as well use a crossbow or large PCP rifle if legal) or go supersonic (or try and tough it out and actually deal with 100"+ drop).

Hornady has a specific page for subsonic ammunition where you can get a good idea of what's available. (hope nobody objects to the link) https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/subsonic#!/

This is why I'm not a fan of suppressed rifles (unless they're rimfire). They work great for handguns that already live with these velocities though.

Suppressed .223 will do the trick. I've killed a good # of deer at night in orchards with that combo

I understand the whole subsonic idea probably wouldn't work. But I thought I would ask you to see if anyone had any advice.

I also thought maybe a larger caliber would have more foot pounds of energy if I stretched it out to 300

I didn't play with any numbers, but was thinking about having a 200 yard zero which might get me out to 250 give or take

Just spit balling looking for ideas

Look into the 8.6 blackout. X-Ring on YouTube has an interesting video shooting it out to 700 yards. 300g .338 projectile running out of a 1-3 twist barrel.

I use both super and subsonic for the same purpose but it is not one gun etc fits all for me. Some instances supers with a repeater for follow up shots get the job done. Others I go subsonic and pick them off quietly. 308 win and 300bo. 223

Thanks

Buck

Since it's a crop damage permit and having them run off out of the field to die might be preferable, a 223 or 308 would be my suggestion. 30cal would hit harder.

Everyone I know that does this shoots supers thru a suppressor though as sub are not going to keep from clearing the field out in the first shot. Plus they are not the most effective for putting animals down.

Last edited:
When you start talking energy and deer about the only time you hear people advocate for less than 1000ft/lbs is when they're trying to get by doing something they know is less than ideal. Often they use non-linear analogies like arrows or bygone times when wounded or lost game wasn't so frowned upon to excuse their preferences. We all know you can Chris McCandless/Alexander Supertramp a moose with a 22lr, but we all also know you shouldn't unless you have no better choice to survive. We all love watching Jerry Miculek/Bob Munden hold a snubbie upside down and snap off a 200 yard shot, but most of us don't pretend it is a viable option.

Can't beat 308 for whitetail I'm shopping around for a can for mine now will be better for my boys to shoot and not as hard on my ears when hunting alone