Caliber choosen.....which bullet?

traks44

well after much researh I decided on a .338 lapua, I am getting ready to put my parts list together and need help with bullet choice. Remember this gun is gonna be taking shot from 500-1000 yard elk shots, maybe longer if I ever get comfortable with it.

I am using a 30 inch barrel #8 contour with a 1-10 twist.

There is alot of controversy over the 300 match kings, thoughts on long range elk?

The 225 grain accubond seems to be popular and seems to have good .BC

lost river well knowone really likes them much

What is gonna be my best choice bullet for long range elk hunting out of a .338.

Keeping in mind the shots are shoulder-high shoulder shots and exactly where I place them. What is gonna be the best!

Well hmmmmmmm,

I'm most probably in the minority here as I notice that most are leaning towards the 225s. From my own research and talking to the folks that know and from working up hunting loads I have some experience. Plus as it looks like you are going to build or have the rifle built I presume that you are considering throat considerations for the bullet of choice (which is good) I'd say this:

I'd recommend a 250gr bullet over any 225gr bullet. Why, if you're shooting a 338 you may as well shoot a 338 and not a 30 cal. (That's just me, though)

Also if it'll seat a 250gr bullet and the chamber is properly cut, the 225 will shoot just as well.

I have a Holland brake on the old girl and recoil is not a problem on the shoulder. It was on the scope mounts though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Of bullets of that weight, if I were designing the rifle from the ground up I'd go with the Wildcat 252 gr RBBT and have the the throat cut so that you have as much room for powder as practicable.

Why: In my rifle factory REM 700, they shot 1/4 MOA. Their jacket is great and seeing as how the griz will be delisted in a year or so, I'll be able to defend the elk carcass and let the griz have the gut pile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, I'd recommend if you are going to go with a gunsmith, I'd recommend one on this board as they have the long range hunting/shooting experience and have great track records and reputations.

Sounds like a great project. Keep us posted.

well I am pretty sure I am either gonna go with the 300 SMK, or the Scenar 250 grain.

I am leanng towards towards the 250 scenar because it seems the hollow point design will be a little more reliable at extended ranged and do more damage than the 300 SMK?

Someone tell me if I am wrong???

crud, I thought the sierra bullet was solid. disreaguard the above post.

Last question, So now Lapua is out!

What am I gonna have to do barrel wise to be able to shoot 300 grain bullets out of my gun. Are they gonna significantly reduce my powder charge? I would like to load them at 2900fps out of a 30 inch tube. Any help would be great. I am really still thowing around alot of ideas, but I crunched some numbers on the 300 SMK and its one incredible bullet!

ok, I just read through enough posts in about 40 pages to realize it has more than taken its fair shair of game at all types of different distances. I guess its kinda like asking which truck of the big three is better, I gonna get alot of answers both good and bad.

So a 300 Grain SMK out of a 30 inch tube, 1-10 twist, gonna go for 2900 or whatever the gun will shoot accuratly.

Richard Graves also makes an outstanding 300 grain bullet as well as a 350. Might need a bigger case and/or a faster twist for the 350 though. But I'm not sure much below 50 cal could touch that thing.

[ QUOTE ]

What am I gonna have to do barrel wise to be able to shoot 300 grain bullets out of my gun. Are they gonna significantly reduce my powder charge? I would like to load them at 2900fps out of a 30 inch tube. Any help would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me again.....

Talk to or email Shawn Carlock or Kirby Allen on this forum. Both can answer all of your questions and make responsible recommendations.

That 300 gr SMK uses up a bunch of powder space if the chamber isn't made correctly. What I attempted to say in an earlier post is that the bbl can be throated long for the 300 smk and still shoot the lighter/shorter bullets well if things are done properly.

Also I seem to remember being informed that Lilja bbls get a little bit better velocities than some others. A 30" 3 groove otta be super for your project.

thanks,

I am ordering a montana rifleman barreled action very soon. I have heard many good things and the only real bad thing is weight, which doesnt matter because it will balance the gun better in my case.

Anway here is my list of components for the gun,
- Montana 30 inch, 1-10 twist barrel #8 contour(blued)
- Montana rifleman action (Blued)
- Either the A-4 or A-5 tactical stock
- I am pretty sure I am going with the holland muzzle brake
- either 10 MOA or 20 MOA scope base( input would be good)
- 12-42/56mm Nighforce scope
- wouldnt be complete with a harris bi-pod

Any criticisim or comments are welcomed.

Basically I am building two rifles, The next rifle is gonna be based on a remington action and will be one the super 7MM magnums. This first gun is being build for my father and he is very specific on what he wants. I plan on starting mine within the next year and will be sending it to either shawn or kirby for sure. They seem to do awesome work.

Ounce again any thoughts or comments are more than welcome good or bad!

You might read this first!!!!!!

Montana

A Bat or Nesika will last you a long time and deliver great results. It will cost twice as much. A Rem 700 worked over by Shawn , Kirby or Chris will cost you the same as the Montana and their reputation is known with the Rem 700 action.

Great barrels- Lilja, Krieger, broughton, List goes on a ways but I am not sure Montana is on it.

If your father is set in his heart that he wants a Montana then a Montana it will be and jsut ignore everything I said.

All of that said, I shoot a Ruger #1 which every body bad mouths but I like it and it shoots for me.

I have been reloading the 338 Lapua for over 10 years for both of my AI AWM 338 Lapuas. I will start loading for my SG&Y built 338 Lapua AI Improved when the sizing die Speedy made gets finished at the Heat Treater. I pick it up Tuesday and take it back to Speedy for the final internal polish then some time at the ranch to see what shoots the best! Already fire formed the brass--If you want to PM me I will tell share with you what my experience has been with this cartridge. I can tell you some things that will really give you some insight on bullet selection---PM me you # and I will explain in detail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I agree with Boss Hoss. If you've got your eye on HUGE case capacity and the 300 grain MK, do the Lapua mag improved. It gets rid of all that nasty case taper which only makes you trim and FL size 'till you hurt. I have never been a fan of the standard Lapua mag. Looks too much like a 22-250 only taller and bigger.

The 338 edge or the 338 ultra mag will nip at the heels of the Lapua mag (and in some cases even beat it) in the velocity category and do it with a much straighter case and a sharper shoulder angle. Sharper shoulder angles, by the way, have been proven to be more efficient especially where heavier than normal bullets are being used.

Also, you can utilize a standard magnum bolt face with the Ultras. Once you have the bolt made for the Lapua, you are stuck with it forever and that is a bad thing if you ever want to try something else.

REm Brass isn't as good, but you can just buy 2 more bags of it than you think you will need and sort them out. Piece of cake.

Here is the Lapua standard and the Lapua improved side by side:
2cartridges.jpg

Man their is so much information it hard to tell sometimes whats best or if I am making the right decision or lots of other things. I really appreciate the help, but my father is pretty dead set on what he wants although this information is making him think.

The standard Lapua I think is gonna be what we use. From doing a little research 94Gr of retumbo is popular and I of course will start lower and work up. We are having to buy alot of stuff right now and we have our list pretty well laid out. My father is having to purchase a nighforce 12-42 and a leupold 8.5-25 as well as a rechambering his 6mm/284 to a 6.5 with a new bedding job on top of getting the lapua built, so we are pretty busy. I really appreciate the advice....lol.......its a little different than a hunting forum where people are trying their best to keep secrets and show off. Here everyone is just trying to help the next guy build a good rifle from past experiences.

As for my project, I think I am gonna wait for maybe a year or two, I just got back from the range and shot under .5 moa with my stock 700 with a springfield armory 4.5-14/56, 150 BT and 62gr of 4350. Pretty hard to fix something that aint broke. Anywho I will keep everyone informed and get some pictures up when the projects get under way.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts