Caliber choise for Wolves

Personally I don't have any experience with the proper rifle for wolves but I could reasonably say that anything from a good .224 cartridge thru the 284s would suffice as great wolf cartridges. The flatter the better as I understand they aren't an animal you'll likely shoot up close.
Just depends. Me, 25 feet to 980 yards so far. No telling what is going to happen out there. I just pack a 6 or 6.5 and it covers the bases. Currently it's a 6.5 prc.

Ive taken a Mt Lion with my 17 Remington without any problems. Its was called in while bobcat huning and was a tad over 100 yards Lucky for me I had my lion tag with me. The lion was a female and was 92 lbs, about 4-5 years old according to the Biologist.
If wolves go around the same weight would a 30gr bullet out of a 17 Remington do the same. The lion went about 70 yards I would guess that shooting a wolf would play out the same way.
Has anyone taken on with a 22 cal or less?
Uh...if you are having to ask that question, then you are under gunned. Why walk on the edge?? What does that buy you?? Some kind of bragging rights?? Some kind of Stupid Rights?? DUH..... Take plenty of gun to cover the unexpected scenario. Save the pip squeak cartridges for pip squeak targets. Take a real gun for a real animal so you can be sure of a clean, ethical kill.....no questions asked. Other thought. What if a shot presented at close range and your shot placement were less than perfect. What might happen when not cleanly killing a potentially dangerous animal, often encountered in multiples??? Wolves are not puppy dogs. They are professional, practiced killers. They live by their kills. Guessing you......NOT. DUH...... Looking forward to reading of your exploits in the Darwin Awards in near future. Shaking head; rolling eyes; LMAO......

Just depends. Me, 25 feet to 980 yards so far. No telling what is going to happen out there. I just pack a 6 or 6.5 and it covers the bases. Currently it's a 6.5 prc.
If my state ever opens a season again, I'll use my 65-284 or 25-284. Both great options. Both 1000 yard under 1 moa rifles. I've seen wolves here while deer hunting and they were well within 200 yards. Hunting them may be different don't know. I'd hope the state would offer the hunt during the breeding season or during deer (rifle) season. Two times when seeing wolves is much easier.

Any of you wolf hunters have experience with fast heavy .224? I shot .224 TTH 22/6mm for years and quit when I couldn't get 75gr scirrocos anymore. I've since built a 22 creed and shooting several bullets 75-90 gr. Absolutely devastating on deer, hogs and coyotes. Massive devastation and nothing has gotten up yet.

Love the .17 Rem I've sent a lot of Yotes to Valhalla with one over the many years I hunted with it. But... a Wolf, I'm kinda thinking perhaps the 6mm's or .25's something light landing and fast on recovery. I'm all up for .17's. 20's and 22's they will do the job, however, I'm thinking of putting the odds more in my favor at the distances that I've run into Wolves at in Idaho... either they are really close and fast or it's a real poke out there. Never shot one, but... I did stay at Hotel.com, Just my 0.2 Cheers ;)

Years ago I shot a yote at about 75-80 yards, it was hunting, I couldn't see what it was pursuing but it kinda stood on its hind legs peeking over some tall grass/thin weeds. I stopped my Jeep and got the swift out, snuck into the yardage I stated and soon as it stood up I shot it just behind the front shoulders. The load I use is 40gr. of Varget pushing a 40gr flat based soft point right at 4200 fps. (26" bbl.) Well, soon as I pulled that trigger two things happened, the yote went down and a flock of quail took flight.

It only took a minute or so to cover the 75-80 yards. That bullet had struck a weed or blade of grass and totally grenaded. It was a pitiful sight that yote laying there wide eyed gasping for air, I chambered another round and put it out of its misery. Small fast bullets are awesome with perfectly clear shooting lanes like alfalfa fields or open sage country. Sometimes we cannot see the very small obstacles in front of our quarry. I learned a lot that day...

this would be my weapon/caliber of choice. AR style rifle 6mm creedmoor. Basi ally a .243 able to shoot longer ballistically efficient bullets. Around 10# scoped w/ a bipod. accurate and deadly to 1/2 mile

Attachments

• 20200101_213952.jpg
    20200101_213952.jpg
    674.2 KB · Views: 124
this would be my weapon/caliber of choice. AR style rifle 6mm creedmoor. Basi ally a .243 able to shoot longer ballistically efficient bullets. Around 10# scoped w/ a bipod. accurate and deadly to 1/2 mile
Is that an 1-3/8 socket on the end of your barrel?

BrentM, first, thanks for doing a lot of good work to help out the deer and elk herds! Second, I'd like to get up in the big and steep and help you out but in reality I'm old and not very effective in the big and steep any more. Do you think there any wolves south of 84? Thanks and Merry Xmas, MT

I have a 6.5 prc on the way.Cant wait to get out with it the snows getting deep,be driving game down.

BrentM, first, thanks for doing a lot of good work to help out the deer and elk herds! Second, I'd like to get up in the big and steep and help you out but in reality I'm old and not very effective in the big and steep any more. Do you think there any wolves south of 84? Thanks and Merry Xmas, MT
Well fish and game say no but I've seen tracks in the owyhees. There are wolves in around mayfield too but that's hard to hunt due to private land. As far as south, I'll say this, find wintering herds of elk and keep an eye on them. They are out there. They do helicopter hunt a lot if that is the main issue. Shoot coyotes while yer at it. We were shooting at them today from 750-980. Couple didn't make it.

We need a repository for all the threads where some guy announces he's going to kill a wolf In MT or ID. They are all equally ridiculous and I'm willing to bet that exactly zero wolves were ever harmed by the original posters. So you wanna kill a wolf in MT? Cool. The average encounter is a wolf running at 500 YDS. They have massive range and are incredibly smart.

I have serious respect for anyone who is successfully shooting them year after year. I have shot 2. I recovered 1, finally, after more than 10 years of trying to put myself in a position to get one. I see them once or twice a year. I hear them far more often. Opportunities don't come very often, they happen fast, and in my case they are usually far away. But you should totally go get one with a .17 and tell us the story when you get back.