Caliber choise for Wolves

17remhunter

Ive taken a Mt Lion with my 17 Remington without any problems. Its was called in while bobcat huning and was a tad over 100 yards Lucky for me I had my lion tag with me. The lion was a female and was 92 lbs, about 4-5 years old according to the Biologist.
If wolves go around the same weight would a 30gr bullet out of a 17 Remington do the same. The lion went about 70 yards I would guess that shooting a wolf would play out the same way.
Has anyone taken on with a 22 cal or less?

I have no experience with wolf hunting, but based on what first hand accounts I've read, I'd say you'd be at a huge disadvantage with a .17 cartridge. The bulk of wolf hunting advice I've read suggested a rifle with the ability to make shots at extended ranges. Some suggest a capability of hitting a wolf sized target at 700y or more. Anything in the .17 range wouldn't get you halfway there, and then if you think about their range in the northern Rockies and the wind conditions that you may face, I'd be looking at something with a minimum of a heavy 6mm bullet to mitigate wind and deliver enough energy to reach those extended ranges. There are folks here who have killed piles of wolves, and they might say otherwise. I'd listen to them.

My Max distance with the 17 Rem is 300 yards that gives me 329 for energy havent taken one that far out yet but most have been at 200 and less that give me close to 500 ft lbs

Might want to clear that cartridge choice with the guide too. I don't know how they would feel about it. I shoot a bunch of coyotes, and I've killed several with .17 bullets over the years, but I've also watched them soak up much bigger bullets and run away never to be seen. With an animal that could potentially weigh 100lbs+, I'd be surprised if a guide would be happy to see a client show up with a .17.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive seen them soak up a lot of lead to and never to be seen...................but then they were all marginal hits
Have yet to see a coyote take off and never be seen again with a lung shot from a 25gr berger at 4166 fps within desent range either

It doesn't seem like you are actually here to find out what anyone else thinks about your caliber choice for wolves then. Sounds like you have full confidence in your cartridge, hunt, and bullet choice, even for a wolf. So what is your actual question here?

Ive taken a Mt Lion with my 17 Remington without any problems. Its was called in while bobcat huning and was a tad over 100 yards Lucky for me I had my lion tag with me. The lion was a female and was 92 lbs, about 4-5 years old according to the Biologist.
If wolves go around the same weight would a 30gr bullet out of a 17 Remington do the same. The lion went about 70 yards I would guess that shooting a wolf would play out the same way.
Has anyone taken on with a 22 cal or less?

Did you follow your bullet path through your lion? I would guess you could tell us better than we could tell you. I have only used the 20 grainer in the 17Rem and it was pretty spectacular on soft stuff like bunnies, p-dogs, and fox. My bet would be at any distance if you hit a rib you never see that wolf again. You may need to tip your guide in advance.

30gr Nagel at 3879 FPS...............................I dont shoot 20's out of a 17 Remington. I was just commenting on the post about coyotes taking a lot of lead and running off.