Caliber choise for Wolves

VLD pilot, I agree IF you re shooting lightweight 22 caliber bullets… no a good choice. That said the 88-90 grain 22 caliber bullets have Bc s in the .540 range and when pushed out at 3200 fps their wind drift beats nearly every 25 caliber and most 6 mm s. Very surprising how flat they fly and how well they hold up in the wind. We do a lot of 800-1000 yd shooting of rockchucks every year and those compare favorably to the 6 mm and even 6.5 mm bullets in much larger cartridges.

VLD pilot, I agree IF you re shooting lightweight 22 caliber bullets… no a good choice. That said the 88-90 grain 22 caliber bullets have Bc s in the .540 range and when pushed out at 3200 fps their wind drift beats nearly every 25 caliber and most 6 mm s. Very surprising how flat they fly and how well they hold up in the wind. We do a lot of 800-1000 yd shooting of rockchucks every year and those compare favorably to the 6 mm and even 6.5 mm bullets in much larger cartridges.
Yep I agree to a degree. Heavy beats lighter even with equal BC. Given that fact, 800 yards wouldn't be the range necessarily where that could be an issue unless it's gassing and ugly. In that case, the heavier is what I'd personally prefer. I too shoot wood chucks out to 3/4 mile ranges in Ohio using mostly the 6.5-284 with 140 class bullets. We ran the 80 Amax bullets in my 22-250AI before the 88 grain elds arrived and they weren't even close in comparison in wind at those 800-1200 yard ranges. Could be different with 88-90 grain bullets in the .55-.6 BC range but wouldn't be much better VS the 131gr .257 bullet in the .660 range or 140gr .264 in the .640 range. Again, environment is everything with lighter bullets. Wouldn't be the bullet impact issue on wolves that would concern me but rather hitting the X when wind is ugly. This is just my opinion and experience. Obviously what works best for you, stick with. I'm more concerned with environmental conditions at LR with light bullets.

The guy with the 300 rum.Its his main rifle hunting,just like mine is a 338NM.Its what he has on hand,He shoots alot of game in the 5-600 yrd range.Hes taken wolf with his 6.5 also.His boy was shooting big game at 10 with same rifle.

Recent Posts