caliber choice

chris matthews

Hey everybody- I have a Rock 12 twist .224 barrel begging to be built into a sod poodle rifle. I like the 22-250 Ack. Imp. but was considering the new 223 WSSM. What do y'all think?
Chris

if u plan on shooting single shot[which u would have to do with a ackley anyways] the 22br is a great choice,22-250 velocities w/o the extra 10-15 grs. of powder giving better barrel life,great brass no fireforming,although u would probably have to turn necks.in my last 22br i was getting 3150 with the 75g amax out of 26" tube and the loads were mild.my 2-dave

p.s i know u only have a 12 twist but thought i would put the amax info in there to add more appeal,with 50g b-tips i was getting 3850fps quite easily with fantastic accuracy-dave

Chris Chris Chris.... you sound more like me everyday.. not so sure that's a good thing..
grin.gif

Although.. I like the 22-250 AI.. I'm dying to see someone build a 223WSSM! As I think you remember...
shocked.gif

But we have had our problems with guinea pigs!

The 22-250AI would probobly burn that barrel quick though! As would the 223WSSM

I have to lean towards what 6brguy said...I have taken quite a few guys to a dog town with a 22BR and all of them were amazingly accurate even in the wind...
But then again they all turned the necks too!

6BRGuy,
Why do you think Ackley's have to be single shots? I have built several of them and they all feed from a variety of mags.

Actually I have two barrels, but I wanted to know if the buzz has passed on the WSSM. Don't here much about it anymore.
So go with the tried and true 22-250 or the newest, latest, greatest WSSM.

Not interested in the BR as I will sell this after playing with it a little and the 22 BR would be a little harder to sell. Plus you can't buy 22 BR at WalMart.

CM--cant buy a 22-250 ack at walmart either--i would vote 22br as well, but 22-250 ack would get the next nod--although, now i see you want a PD gun and have a 12 twist--now i vote 223 for volume shooting.

A wssm on the pd town oughta kill that barrel in one trip.

JB

Jb- You can by 22-250 at WalMart and shoot it in the Ackley. That's the beauty of the Ackley line of cartridges.
Was kinda wanting to prove to myself about the WSSM and see what it does. I really don't care if it does burn it up. I'll rebuild the silly thing in something else.
Since nobody has suggested how great it is, I assume the new has worn off it.
Don't need a 223, have about 30 of 'em.

[ 12-05-2003: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

I have a 22br pac/nor ss match tight throat
that shoots Brady Knight's 52g #7 ogive
bullets in one hole @ 100ydsand sub-sub min
on out!!!Have shot many rounds through it and it still performs great.

Chris.. I own a 223 WSSM. what does not do this rifle justice is the 22 " pencil thin barrel and the 1:10 twist. If I could have a 26" BBL, 1:14 twist and the barrel has a 1" muzzle then I would say this rifle is just about perfect.
if you want my 2 cents worth. use the 22-250 or the 223WSSM. the 1:12 twist would be perfect for both. a friend has a 1:12 twist on his 22-250 and its a rock solid tack driving machine with 40 to 55 grain soft points and V-max slugs.
now my 223WSSM will blow the 22-250 out of the water if you reload. I can attain 4,300 FPS with a 40 grain V-max, Varget, and magnum primers. also the brass has to be annealed every time you reload. also you should match prep your brass as I have done it makes the whole rifle shoot better. the longevity of the barrel is that of a 220 Swift. about 2,000 to 2,500 rounds. my personal win M-70 Super Coyote will sink any prairie dog at 100 yards or less. after that the 1:10 twist spins the light slugs too fast and they destabilize on me. I am relagated to heavy slugs. 65 Grains and above.. but I can say I can stabilize a 75 A-max at 3250 FPS (starting load by the way) if you want a long range tack driver.. the 223 WSSM is the way to go. if you want an all around flat shooting tack driver the 223 WSSM is the way to go.. or if you want to find ammo everywhere.. 22-250 is the only way to go. in my mind the 22-250 is superior the the 223WSSM in longevity of barrels. I would not turn down a 22-250.. I stumbled onto a really smoking hot deal on my 223WSSM... that is the only reason I own it.. I would prefer the 22-250.. lower pressures, universally able to get factory ammo, and is one of the more inherently accurate cartridges.
in my mind's eye, both are great cartridges. I have everything to make smoking flat shooting cartridges.... but, I have to reload my own and I have to have my barrel replaced to shoot light slugs. this was and will be a varmint killer/predator rifle. once I am done with it.. it will be one. right now its a light packable deer gun.
if you go with the 223 WSSM.. you will not be disappointed. if you go with the 22-250 (non Improved) you will not be disappointed. flip a coin.. its going to be a winner either way. gun)
Fred the gunsmith

Now that I have completed most of the builds in the back log I intend to do some more testing
with My 223 WSSM to find what it is capable of. So far I have exceeded 4400 ft/sec with the
40 grain Ballistic tip and 3900 ft/sec with the 69grain bullets and have seen no signs of pressure.

Mine is a 1 in 15 twist 3 grove and it shoots very well . I have not tried any thing 70+grains
but if you want to shoot the larger bullets the 1 in 12 should work fine in the 223 WSSM.

Also I have not tried the 35 grain bullets yet but I intend to soon,

I like the 22/250 and recomend it. but if you want a realy flat round in a factory loading then
the 220 swift or the 223 WSSM would be the choice for me.

Barrel life is not much difference in these cartriges so go with what you want.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.