Caliber choice ?

6mm arc is my new favorite longer-ish range ar platform caliber. .556 just a little light at 400+.
My favorite all around is my 6mmAI. Use a fast twist and 115grain at 3100 for deer and hog.
Use 60 grainers loaded down a bit for small game.
It doesn't really matter what caliber for small game. Its more about bullet choice and velocity.
Shoot 110 solids in that 30-06 at 2500 and it will be fit friendly

I would go with 243, best thing that ever came out of a 308 in my opinion is when they "Necked" it down.

I think a 223 and a 30/06 is a great 2 gun combination. It's not my first choice for pigs but I have killed a whole lot of them with it along with lots of deer and who knows how many varmits. Cheapest and most fun to shoot centerfire I 've ever owned. Flat to 300 yards and and 2-1/2- 3 inch groups at 500 yards.
223 good choice solid jacketed bullets will help on the pelts somewhat AR platforms are light weight, some very accurate.

I would go with a 22 250 with a 1@8 twist. I have killed a bunch of deer with a 22 250.
Just to make sure the air is clear for people reading this, an 8 twist is only needed if you are shooing heavy bullets. A 14 twist will shoot up to 55/60 grains, depending on the bullet. A 12 twist will usually shoot 60/65 grain. A 10 twist should shoot 70 grain and an 8 twist will shoot 80 grain. This is a rough ballpark. Some bullets will shoot in a slower twist because the bullet is shorter and some bullets will only shoot in a faster twist because they are longer or more pointy.

Ok so i want a gun good for just about anything. I have a 30-06 that i use but when i want to shoot a fox and its runnin that 30-06 blows it to shreads and i want the skins. So i want something that would be smaller than a 30-06 and good for hunting predators and wild boar i go boar hunting but alot of times im hiking alot when hunting so i want something thats a little lighter wait. But what im trying to get at is whats a good caliber gun thats smaller than the 30-06 for my uses. THanks
Pretty much any of the smaller calibers work, but... if you are a "hand loader" the .30-06 will do it all and has been doing it for quite some time now. bullets from 100gr to 220gr in hunting type twist barrels and most will shoot great some bullets better than others in bullet weights of course. Bottom line... reload. Good luck ... Cheers.

Can we define what "a good gun for just about anything" is actually used for? Are you talking about hunting anything or hunting/target shooting? How far do you need to reach out?

6mm arc is my new favorite longer-ish range ar platform caliber. .556 just a little light at 400+.
My favorite all around is my 6mmAI. Use a fast twist and 115grain at 3100 for deer and hog.
Use 60 grainers loaded down a bit for small game.
It doesn't really matter what caliber for small game. Its more about bullet choice and velocity.
Shoot 110 solids in that 30-06 at 2500 and it will be fit friendly
I have a 6mm rem built on a '96 Mauser, with a sporter weight Douglas barrel. It loves those Hornady 87gr bullets! I have been seriously thinking about rechambering it to 6mAI (or as I've seen it called 244AI). Need to find a good 'smith here in the Tulsa area to do it.