Caliber choice not sure what to do.

I did not know that. That is actually great info to know. That gives me something else to think about.

I am really enjoying a 243 Win Ackley Improved that I built last summer. Run these numbers through your ballistics program against the others you have mentioned and see what you think:

105 Berger VLD Hunting bullet (you will need a 1:8 twist)
3236 fps average velocity

Redding makes all the die sets. Fire forming brass is not a problem. I use Lapua 243 Winchester brass and work it up when new (trimmed, necks turned, primer pockets, flash holes, etc).

I used all the final components for the fire form loads and the 243 was pushing the 105 VLD at 2976 fps. But the best part was that they put 5 shots under 0.5" at 100 yards. Took a nice KS whitetail in November with the "fire-form" loads. This method was recommended to me by a very accomplished competitor and rifle builder.

Worked up 200 rounds to start with. Did this just by shooting and hunting with the 243 Win's vice just burning up components for the sake of fire-forming. The Ackley's now have been loaded 3 times with no signs of stretching, over pressure, or the need to bump shoulders back. These 200 cases may last the life of the barrel. Another thing I forgot to mention is that you can seat the bullet into the lands and still have it function through an Accuracy International 5 shot detachable mag.

Here is some more info:

.243 Win + .243 AI Cartridge Guide

243aix360.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts