Caliber choice not sure what to do.

Majja13

Ok So I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my Savage action. I have narrowed it to either a 6.5 Creedmore or a 6.5x55 Sweede. The 260 rem is a distant 3rd. This rifle will be used to shoot mostly plates out between 500 and 1000 yds. It will also go out to shoot P-dogs from time to time when I don,t want to use the 22-250. Any info will be greatly appreciated, I reload for all my own rifles so factory ammo is not a concern.

Thanks
Majja
gun)

I went .260. Brass for the Creedmore is too hard to find. You can get Lapua brass for the .260. Never really got turned on by the Swede.

Ok So I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my Savage action. I have narrowed it to either a 6.5 Creedmore or a 6.5x55 Sweede. The 260 rem is a distant 3rd. This rifle will be used to shoot mostly plates out between 500 and 1000 yds. It will also go out to shoot P-dogs from time to time when I don,t want to use the 22-250. Any info will be greatly appreciated, I reload for all my own rifles so factory ammo is not a concern.

Thanks
Majja
gun)
.260 or the Swede hands down.

The .260 beats both of the others all the way around as far as I'm concerned.

Majja13,

I have a 6.5x55 BJAI, and I am here to tell you it is a real nice "Ackley". P.O. never applied his magic to the Swede, but Bob Jourdan certainly did. The beauty of it is, you can still use the factory 6.5x55 ammo. I will say this, I had a few hundred regular 6.5 rounds still loaded up when I decided to have my chamber opened up to BJAI, and that ammo shot even better in the BJAI than it ever did in the original chamber. That said, the original chamber was not overly well done... I will not lie.

Another + as for as I am concerned is that by using a Long Action, you can seat the bullets *WAY* out and still be well within mag length. Now if you have Bob chamber it, make sure to specify how you want it throated bullet weight wise. I will not post how fast my 26" tube was capable of pushing out the 120gr gamekings :) Probably part of why my tube gave it up a little earlier than originally expected. You can get good brass for the Swede too, Lapua, Winchester, Remington, and Norma all come to mind right off the top of my head. I ended up using Winchester, but they all work well in the Swede. At the moment I still have that stick, but only because I have been horridly lazy in getting a new, and needed, tube for it.

Gary

Last edited:
Well if we're talking long action I wouldn't go with any of these. Maybe a 6.5-284, or 6.5-06 or even a 264 WM. If I were going to "improve" one of the original three, it would still be the .260 then stick it in a long action and then shoot 140 gr. Bergers and seat them "way out." It would be close to the 6.5-284. I don't really think that improving any of these rounds is worth the trouble. All are pretty close in performance. All will do well at what you're wanting to do with them. Because of the limited brass available I would stay away from the Creedmore. Between the .260 and the Swede, I think it's a toss up. But if going with a short action, I think the .260 would get the nod. Build whatever you think has the highest "Cool" factor and then go shoot the heck out of it.

Looking at your list of cartridges I'd pick the Swede first and the 260 second.

Ignoring your list and looking at the intended use I'd say 6BR.

I went with a heavy weight barreled M700 in .260 caliber. Does everything from "little bullets" to much heavier slugs just fine. Mine is a 1:8 1/2 twist Brux barrel.

Why not the 6.5x47 Lapua? It won't burn barrels as quickly as the others and get the option of really good brass. Creedmore would be my second choice, but wish someone else would make brass for it. I have heard that you can use 22-250 brass and fire form the Creedmore with it. That still gives you a ton of brass options going that route. Then the 260 and Swede tie.

Tank

If those are the 3 choices I would look at the 6.5x55.

It is offered on a long action which is very nice for the long bullets in the 130-140 grain class.

Great brass is offered including Winchester and Lapua, and most others as well.

The 6.5x55 is a very underrated and misunderstood cartridge IMO. Because this is such an old cartridge most recipes you find for it on the net and in many manuals are lower powered recipes to ensure that owners don't get over pressure in the older, weaker actions. But if you load to pressures that any modern actions will accept it will give sufficient added performance to make it a step above the others you mentioned. In my mind it is about the best 6.5 cartridge out there if you are looking for the perfect combination of performance, barrel life, and limited recoil.

Scot E.

Thanks for all the good input. I considered the 6.5x47 but the 6.5x55 and 6.5 C have just a little more volume for powder. I feel that it gives a little more versatility. The 260 is still on the table. The more I reed the more I like the 260 as the 2nd choice. Keep up the info, you guys are all a wealth of knowledge.

Say what you will but that 260 will push Berger 140s at 2900, if you run the AI reamer
It will do over 3000. Go figure,and you don't need a longer mag. At 2.80 it fits in the short magazine. 260 brass is easy to find and if you choose the AI it will shoot 260 factory ammo if you get in a bind.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.