Caliber choice help

JP20

I currently have a Remington 700 long action that's currently running as a 257 wby mag. I'm trying to decide what to build it into. I've considered 6.5 prc, 6.5x284, 264 wm, but am open to others. If I stay with a 6.5 I'd like to run Berger 140's 3200 or faster, but plan on eventually running the Berger 155's if they ever come out (which I was told would be towards the end of 2019). Also I want this gun to be kid friendly as both my kids will be going thru hunters ed this spring. Also I'm currently having a 300 rum built so I'll have the 30 caliber covered. Thanks

The SS cartridges are awesome, but in this particular scenario I wouldn't opt for one. The 6.5 SS is based off the wider RUM cartridges, so it would require a gunsmith opening up the feed rails of the action, and him replacing the mag box and follower for that of a RUM. Also, as short as the SS cartridges are, I don't think that would be a good option for a long action 700. I could be wrong, but just taking a guess since they're almost 3/4" difference in length, and the SS cartridges are so short, it could cause some wonky feeding? Maybe Rich can chime in with some experience on this if anyone has done it before?

To continue running the same setup he has now with minimal mods (blueprinting & new barrel), the .264 WinMag would be the easiest option, or a 6.5x257 Wby wildcat.

264 WM would be the easiest swap and offer good performance. The WM would get you close to the 3200 mark you are wanting. In my opinion if you really want to be 3200+ w/ 140 you are getting into 26 Nosler and 6.5-300 wby territory.

None of the cartridges you mentioned are gonna be very kid friendly without a brake, especially with a heavier bullet.
With the action he has for a donor, not much is going to be... Belted mag action, you can't really go backwards without it being a complete pain in the ***, and really expensive replacing most all parts other than the empty receiver itself.

For something more suited for new shooters, he would be best to get a new donor rifle in .243, 6.5CM, .260, 7mm-08, or .308 and either shoot it as-is, or build something short action based off the .308 cartridge.

I don't think you can run 140's or bigger at 3200 and stay kid friendly?
A heavy rifle with a good brake helps..But?
My 6.5x284 is slower than that but it shoots great! I have a 28" 8 twist barrel.

I currently have a Remington 700 long action that's currently running as a 257 wby mag. I'm trying to decide what to build it into. I've considered 6.5 prc, 6.5x284, 264 wm, but am open to others. If I stay with a 6.5 I'd like to run Berger 140's 3200 or faster, but plan on eventually running the Berger 155's if they ever come out (which I was told would be towards the end of 2019). Also I want this gun to be kid friendly as both my kids will be going thru hunters ed this spring. Also I'm currently having a 300 rum built so I'll have the 30 caliber covered. Thanks
You have a magnum bolt face so I would definitely give the 6.5 PRC a hard look.
I have a 6.5 SAUM, and in my opinion it makes more since to move up to 7mm rather than pushing 140, or 155's past 3000 fps.
I think the prc is going to to be huge in the future of long range shooting, companies like ADG will be releasing super high quality brass in a few months.
Recoil will be pretty light with the 6.5x284 and the prc

With the action he has for a donor, not much is going to be... Belted mag action, you can't really go backwards without it being a complete pain in the ---, and really expensive replacing most all parts other than the empty receiver itself.

For something more suited for new shooters, he would be best to get a new donor rifle in .243, 6.5CM, .260, 7mm-08, or .308 and either shoot it as-is, or build something short action based off the .308 cartridge.
I friggin love the 7mm08....running the 162 eldx in mine....things a friggin tack driver

Why 300 RUM?

The gun will definitely have a brake on it for the kids,

Your almost better off in this situation as you want it kid friendly to buy a rifle in a SA cartridge platform, this way you can have shorter LOP and a recoil friendly option like the 6.5CM or 260 Rem and you'll still have your rifle to fit you.

You have a Magnum bolt face .532" in your existing rifle so kind of eliminates the 6.5-284 option (.473") and for the velocity your looking for you'll be into the 264 wm or 26 Nosler options.

Last edited:
A 257 Weatherby is in the same league as those cartridges you listed, why are you wanting to change?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.