Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .22-250

• .243 Win

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• Total voters
Well I love to hunt and have been all over the world. I am a disabled USMC vet. I am not that disabled that I can't get around , I am very mobile, just have titanium neck, shoulder and knee. Probably get around better than most. I did a hunt in SD for those little critters back in May 2013. It still was snowing. I would like to do another dog hunt and or Prong Horn and if anyone needs a hunting partner let me know. I live in East GA. I have my own transportation, but would like to pair up with some other hunters. I have a .204 and .223 with several shooting chair. Have everything else from 17HMR to 325WSM. I shoot 1,000 yrd reguarly. If you need a hunting partner please contact me at 678-427-6168 or [email protected].
Thanks
Len

It's a no brainer. In this environment we are in unless you are a millionaire you should use the cheapest round you can make or buy. It's going to cost you more money than what you can buy or make in the future. It going to take a few years for ammo prices to come down. MD

.20 P, 40 VMax, up to 400+ (80% shots)
.22-.250, 75ELDM, beyond 400+ (20% shots)

I have a good sized stash of RL16, IMR8208, 5.56 brass, .22-.250 brass, primers, 40Vmax & 75 ELDM's - enough for 3 days of carnage.

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!
17 HMR - out to 150 yards
204 or 223 - from 150-300 yards, I prefer the 204 over the 223
Where I hunt in west Texas I don't have many opportunities to shoot over 300 yards on prairie dogs.

An interesting thread for sure with the various picks and reasons why.
I won't argue the 22-250 one bit. But, I did sell all of my brass and ammo and went with a 22BR. 40 and 45 grain bullets, aim squeeze and splat, I get to see a lot of the show.
The 22-250, I would catch myself trying to see the acrobatics and pull the shot. I weighed this rig down, 35 pounds and still miss a good portion of it.

Going by yourself a lighter recoiling rig will aide ones self in needed corrections by spotting your hits/misses. Thus my reason for a heavy 17 Remington. Shooting is not fast and furious, but each shot is accounted for, 40+ pound rifle a pure pleasure to shoot. Lol, no I don't pack it far from the truck either.