Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .22-250

• .243 Win

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• Total voters
My favorite PD rifles a RR AR 15s in Varmint configuration .223 Wylde,20 Practical .I also use a Custom 6 CM and a 6.5CM.A 10/22 Val and Tikka T1 17HMR are my starters on PD towns.Lots of reports of Bubonic infected P Rats.Don`t touch them.

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be
.17 WSM is a pretty impressive rimfire. I have a couple; Ruger, Franklin Armory (AR based action-piston system). Very hot depending on bullet. Shots out to 300 +/- are doable, and more often than you'd think. Next for me would be 22-250 & .243. All good fun.....
Currently the issues are finding ammo for some rimfires and primers for reloading.

.17 WSM is a pretty impressive rimfire. I have a couple; Ruger, Franklin Armory (AR based action-piston system). Very hot depending on bullet. Shots out to 300 +/- are doable, and more often than you'd think. Next for me would be 22-250 & .243. All good fun.....
Currently the issues are finding ammo for some rimfires and primers for reloading.
The smaller the round + the longer distance = 😊

Sure looks like there are many ways to have fun in a prairie dog town. I have to laugh at the strong opinions offered by those who tried it once or just heard from someone.
At the risk of being controversial, I would bet that almost all who didn't list 204R as one of the two choices never tried one.

To add to my 223 suggestion. It was my family's first time to actually go on a prairie dog shoot. I had shot them before but only for a few minutes at a time, it was just pop a few when we were on a dove hunt etc. So I don't have much experience. The day we hunted in South Dakota it was blowing well over 20mph with gusts into to the 30mph range. It was brutal. You could hardly hold steady enough to shoot, cap kept blowing off etc. I had 3 similar 223 rifles with Bushnell Tactical Elite scopes with Horus reticles. In that wind and shooting 223 (Most shots were in the 300 yd range some to 600) we would not have had much if any success without those reticles. I've always had a one shot one kill type of mentality when shooting rifles but that day was very humbling and I learned a lot about wind. Was also able to teach my boys a lot about hold over and wind call spotting for them through the same reticle, we all shot suppressed and the ability to see your misses and communicate with each other made it a great shooting lesson.

when we where shooting rock chucks in Wyoming I was using an AR with 55gr ball ammo I thought that the 55 gr FMJ would just smoke right through those hairy little sobs didn't seem like there was nothing to help the bullet expand but after checking out a few of the communist chucks the exit hole was about 3" in dia but had more fun hitting just between the chuck and the rock they where sunning on they go flying wish we had taken the time to video it

Sure looks like there are many ways to have fun in a prairie dog town. I have to laugh at the strong opinions offered by those who tried it once or just heard from someone.
At the risk of being controversial, I would bet that almost all who didn't list 204R as one of the two choices never tried one.
When I was in still living out west, the 204R wasn't an option because it didn't exist. Also, it strikes me that if a high volume of shooting is on the menu, stockpiles of reloadable brass/bullets are a necessity. How easy was it to stockpile thousands of brass/bullets pre Covid? I ask because I've simply never paid attention.

When I was in still living out west, the 204R wasn't an option because it didn't exist. Also, it strikes me that if a high volume of shooting is on the menu, stockpiles of reloadable brass/bullets are a necessity. How easy was it to stockpile thousands of brass/bullets pre Covid? I ask because I've simply never paid attention.
in my area, and from what I've seen online, 204 brass was always available and lots of 20 cal bullet options. IMO 204 has become an extremely popular cartridge. Luckily I have ample ammo and brass/bullets ready to go.

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!
22-250 , 220 swift , 6mm/243

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!
I live in Colorado, and to buck the wind, I shoot a 25-06 or a 6mm Remington. I will also use the .223 but for inside 200 yards. I take a lot of shots at 300 and 400 yards, though.