Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .22-250

• .243 Win

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• Total voters
Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!
22-250
Hard to beat
And it can (well in Georgia) be a viable deer cartridge and even a hog cartridge of shot placement and Bullet choice are taken seriously

I'm also going to say my go-to for popping everything is a 22-243AI (or 22 creedmoor) with an 8 twist and a 64-73gr pill at warp speed.

I would take the .243 with 68g Bergers for shots up to 300, .243 with Berger 95 vld from 300-500 yards. 2nd would be a 22-250, however, when the wind begins to howl it will push the .224 bullets around much more than the 6mm.

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!

I take all of the following: 17 Hornet, 204 Ruger, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250 AI, 244, & 6mm.

I will often take a big boomer also such as 416 Rigby, 375 H&H AI, 44 Mag revolver & a 45-70. My brother once took a 50 BMG. With some of these choices over-penetration was a problem.

I know some people have the fortune to hit PD towns where no one has shot that year, I'm not usually that lucky. The place where we go the last couple of decades, the ranchers hired hands have AR-15's and they shoot at the close dogs.

In a 'virgin' town a 17 Hornet will get you a long ways. If you need to have more than a thousand rounds for a big field the economy of the 223 makes sense.

Accuracy and the ability to handle wind is important. You'll need a spotter, especially if it is windy.

With my rifles, if I had to limit the choices to three - 204 Ruger, 223, and my heavy barreled 22-250AI due to the rancher's hands shooting at the close ones, in a virgin town I'd also have to have my 17 Hornet.

When we go, we stay for a week and we go through 1,000+ rounds.

I've once (1984) went to an area near where the North Platte flows into WY, no-one there had shot dogs before evidently and we hit 6 or 7 ranches. I brought 6 rifles and after a week I only had a few rounds left for my bull barrel 308. I took many 1,000's of rounds that trip and there were 4 of us. The wives shot mostly 22LR's and they shot a lot of dogs - they ran out of ammo too.

BTW, WY didn't require a hunting license for PD's.

.25/06 AI

Recent Posts