Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .22-250

• .243 Win

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• Total voters
My preferred tools are Remington SPS Varmint heavy barrel in .22-250, Leupold VX-5HD 3-15X45 CDS-ZL2.

Believe it or not I'm getting great groups out to 350 yds with American Eagle .22-250, 50gr HP. Yes, the cheap stuff.

Unless you have rifles in all the calibers listed above, I'd shoot a rimfire and keep the shots in close. 17 HMR or a Savage in 17 Winchester Super Magnum will do the trick just fine. Bought all my ammo for these calibers back when it was cheap......

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!
17 fireball, 223. Most bang for your buck. Forget the Needmore. Prarie dogs aren't that big.

Wish that was a possibility, will be flying and I'll be limited to two rifles max.
Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!
I sometimes wonder if (generally speaking) many OP's questions are rhetorical?
Maybe the OP already knows which calibers they are taking.
They may have gone on many prior PD hunts.
The poll may have been for fun.
Taking a rimfire as one of two rifles will be a cluster IF hitting the little critters is considered fun.
Unless this is private land with little hunting then getting shots inside 150 yds will be far between.
Typical 10-15 mph winds make my 17hmr truly hit and miss at more than 100 yds
I'm only saying this because I want your hunt to be really fun

Taking a rimfire as one of two rifles will be a cluster IF hitting the little crit
Taking a rimfire as one of two rifles will be a cluster IF hitting the little critters is considered fun.
Unless this is private land with little hunting then getting shots inside 150 yds will be far between.
Yes the pole was mostly for fun wanted to get some other opinions. I have been on many PD hunts and I've enjoyed all the calibers I've taken in the past. I've taken all the calibers in my poll except the 17 rem fireball and 6.5 creedmoor...204 and 22-250 have been my favorite so far. I also very much enjoyed the 243 with 58 grain v-max's, those were devastating! I tried 17 HMR one year and it was just way too windy, couldnt get solid hits. 223 is what I've shot the most with, great out to 200 yards or so, but I've always shot the lighter bullets in my 223 so anything past 300 was tricky if there was any wind. Most my shooting is within the 200-300 yard range, some closer and some farther, haven't tried to connect out past 500. My farthest kill with the 223 was at 450 yds, pure luck I think as I was shooting 40 grain v-max's, 300-400 yards was no issue at all with the 243 though.

223. Hands down my favorite! Second rifle would be my favorite deer rifle.
I love this answer. After a few years of consistent pdog shoots, I think that the best way to be a better hunter is to start the day on a good town with your 223 and move to the rifle you plan on using for big game. You'll get really comfortable with the longer shots, and what your rifle is capable of. I've never felt like a better shooter than I am after a two day Pdog camp and shoot.

PS announcement: please don't call it prairie dog hunting. I could be way wrong but honestly if you've shot them you know it's not a hunt. Calling it anything but "target practice" or "shooting" feels dirty to me. Just my opinion. Lol

We started off on the closer ones with a 204 and a 223. Then as they got further away 22-250, 6mm AI, and a 6.5x47L. I also love the idea of using your hunting rifle for great practice on small targets in windy conditions. Better practice than just shooting steel.

Well David, I'm like you. I get most of my shots at 200+ yards, so the rimfires are out. Since I hunt in Colorado, winds range from 5 to 25mph on nearly any given day, with the higher winds the norm. I hunt on private land, but the P-dogs get enlightened after the first few trips and don't come up too close after they've been shot at a little. I tend to use the .223, the 6mm Remington or the 25-06 for these shots, especially the -06 for 300+ shots. If I were him, I'd take a .243 and a .223. That way he's covered for distance. But he probably has his rifles picked out.