Caliber Choice for pack rifle

Blacktail

Looking to have a light, accurate packable rifle for blacktail pack trips and maybe a mountain goat hunt. Have a Tikka .270 synth w/22" now all i have done is bed the action. It holds about .75 with factory 130's. Was thinking about trying to lighten it up or just have another rifle built just not sure on caliber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

your current rig sound pretty good to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

couldnt weigh much more than 7-8 lbs...but it is a good "reason" to build another /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Why not build a lightweight rifle for the ultra-short action 270WSM or 7WSM? More power, flatter trajactory, and (presumably) less weight to carry. If you don't have one yet then you definately "need" one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I was thinking bout the short action in the .270 i have been told .270 may be a bit light for the goats..Not sure why? I do have a .308 PSS from when i was a DM from work but got promoted..could use that action..

I hunted with a friend on the weekend who has a synthetic / stainless Tikka in .270. It was the first time I handled one. I'm inclined to agree with longgunshooter - it seemed like a nice quick handling, light rifle to me (but then I was comparing it to mine!). That weight with the accuracy you are getting seems like the answer to me - unless you feel you need a larger caliber.

WL

Have another idea as well. I also have a Tikka in .300 win with a 24" barrel. Maybe slap a 3-10-42 Swaro on it some Talley rings and then try to find a light stock and work up some loads in the 165 range..what you think

A Blaser R93 with professional stock would be a good candidate - you could even take several calibres with you.

Seriously it is light, Packs away but sets up to same 0 in a couple of minutes.

Expensive up front but afterwards you really only need to buy the barrels of the caliber you want. You can even use the same scope as long as it is good quality, repeatable settings - just dial in different settings for differnt calibres.

Notoriously accurate out of the box, highly weather resistant

What is the old saying - "fear the guy with one rifle" ?

The pack rifle I have used for years is a A-Bolt Micro Medallion 7mm-08 it weighs less than 5.5 lbs & has vanquished many Elk, Mule Deer, & Black Bear over the years!!

Nothing wrong with what you have. Maybe some hand loads if you want better accuracy.
If you want something different, consider the 280 AI. Loaded with a 160 gr AB to 3000 fps, you have 7mm RM performance in a light package with 5 round capacity.
You can also shoot 280 Rem factory loads.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.