Caliber choice for 600 yards

You can tell yourself your hearing is fine, but it's a known fact firearms damage your ears. So whether it has a muzzle brake or not it still damages your ears.
Dude, I've had hearing tests. So experts have told me. And now I can repeat it. Extended exposure or loud noise can cause hearing loss. Check the facts at https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/noise-induced-hearing-loss. So your "known fact" is not a fact.

Dude, I've had hearing tests. So experts have told me. And now I can repeat it. Extended exposure or loud noise can cause hearing loss. Check the facts at https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/noise-induced-hearing-loss. So your "known fact" is not a fact.
Yes firearms damage your ears, it's a known fact. I'm not sure what you're getting at here with the link you posted because it didn't prove me wrong. Just because you don't wear hearing protection doesn't make it safe or okay. Read this article https://www.healthyhearing.com/report/7904-Shooting-sports-and-hearing and then tell me gunshots don't cause hearing loss. My Dad shot his whole child hood and most of his military career with minimal hearing protection and now he has to get hearing aids. It's no joke. A muzzle brake is loud but any high powered rifle is loud and causes damage. You can do what you want but don't say muzzle brakes make you deaf but shooting a magnum without one is fine, that's not true.
F2EFBC7E-5C81-44BD-9B45-D2C09F61A35C.png

Last edited:
What ballistics are better in a 1:9 300prc? Over 3000 FPS with a 180 grain eldm holds up very well against a 300 PRC
Your Q: "What ballistics are better in a 1:9 300prc?"
Berger's answer: According to the Berger twist rate calculator, . 30 cal bullets weighing 220grs or more are marginally compromised with a 1:10" twist. There are also .30 cal monolithic bullets that perform poorly in 1:10" twist barrels.

Yes firearms damage your ears, it's a known fact. I'm not sure what you're getting at here with the link you posted because it didn't prove me wrong. Just because you don't wear hearing protection doesn't make it safe or okay. Read this article https://www.healthyhearing.com/report/7904-Shooting-sports-and-hearing and then tell me gunshots don't cause hearing loss. My Dad shot his whole child hood and most of his military career with minimal hearing protection and now he has to get hearing aids. It's no joke. A muzzle brake is loud but any high powered rifle is loud and causes damage. You can do what you want but don't say muzzle brakes make you deaf but shooting a magnum without one is fine, that's not true.
I understand your problem. You assume too much. I never said gunfire noise was safe or unsafe. Please reread the posts! The known fact is that loud or extended noise CAN damage ones hearing. Not "any high powered rifle is loud and causes damage". Jud96. Hence the known fact is that not everyone's hearing will be damaged by a gunshot within close proximity. Can you hear me now? Have you ever admitted you're wrong. Try it, it's good for people.

I understand your problem. You assume too much. I never said gunfire noise was safe or unsafe. Please reread the posts! The known fact is that loud or extended noise CAN damage ones hearing. Not "any high powered rifle is loud and causes damage". Jud96. Hence the known fact is that not everyone's hearing will be damaged by a gunshot within close proximity. Can you hear me now? Have you ever admitted you're wrong. Try it, it's good for people.
You're dense. You started this with saying muzzle brakes make you deaf but non braked magnums never hurt your ears. That's completely goes against everything about firearms and hearing loss. Unless it's suppressed with subsonic ammo, it's not 100% safe for your ears. Wear ear protection, you're not a tough guy for not wearing it and muzzle brakes don't make you a sissy either. I literally linked a scientific article describing how bad firearms are to the unprotected ear. Your ears aren't special, they will get damaged if not protected when shooting a firearm.

You're dense. You started this with saying muzzle brakes make you deaf but non braked magnums never hurt your ears. That's completely goes against everything about firearms and hearing loss. Unless it's suppressed with subsonic ammo, it's not 100% safe for your ears. Wear ear protection, you're not a tough guy for not wearing it and muzzle brakes don't make you a sissy either. I literally linked a scientific article describing how bad firearms are to the unprotected ear. Your ears aren't special, they will get damaged if not protected when shooting a firearm.
Now you add to your own density by being judgmental. You add words to my posts. "Tough guy" Please reread them, don't write a thing, and grow up. "Sissy" "Dense" ?? What kind of person is so judgmental? Proverbs will give you the answer. PS, I wear hearing protection at a range. I repeat, I wear hearing protection at a range!

Cool flame war...... just like every other Internet forum.

I don't care if anyone wears hearing protection or not, but I lost a significant amount of high-frequency hearing in my left ear when I was 16 from a single event. I was shooting a .300 wby across the bed of a pickup and the sound apparently reflected back in a bad way. My ears rang nonstop for a couple weeks and I've lived mostly deaf in one ear ever since. Just because it hasn't happened yet is not proof that it won't happen to you. It gets easier to cause damage as you age too.

Now I hunt with suppressors and can't understand why this country can't/won't join the rest of the civilized world and legalize (and recommend their use) everywhere. Muzzle break? Nope, not for me, ever. I don't like hunting with guys who use them. Use a smaller gun. The number of people who can actually shoot magnums well is way smaller than the number of people who think they shoot them well.

What? Somebody say something? I have significant hearing loss from shooting, hunting and military. On my 4th set of hearing aids and I'm 53 yrs old. I honestly think pistols killed my hearing the most.
To the op just build the one that makes you want to shoot it. You already know in your heart which one you want. Build it And be happy. Hard to beat the old 7 mag and 300win mag for what you want to do. They are not new and fancy but they get it done. So will either of the ones you mentioned and a dozen others. Build the one that gets you excited to use it.
Shep

What? Somebody say something? I have significant hearing loss from shooting, hunting and military. On my 4th set of hearing aids and I'm 53 yrs old. I honestly think pistols killed my hearing the most.
To the op just build the one that makes you want to shoot it. You already know in your heart which one you want. Build it And be happy. Hard to beat the old 7 mag and 300win mag for what you want to do. They are not new and fancy but they get it done. So will either of the ones you mentioned and a dozen others. Build the one that gets you excited to use it.
Shep
Thanks Shep for your words of wisdom. I also agree with you that pistols, especially a .357 magnum, do the most damage. 18" or shorter barreled rifles also have a a ringing bang.

Cool flame war...... just like every other Internet forum.

I don't care if anyone wears hearing protection or not, but I lost a significant amount of high-frequency hearing in my left ear when I was 16 from a single event. I was shooting a .300 wby across the bed of a pickup and the sound apparently reflected back in a bad way. My ears rang nonstop for a couple weeks and I've lived mostly deaf in one ear ever since. Just because it hasn't happened yet is not proof that it won't happen to you. It gets easier to cause damage as you age too.

Now I hunt with suppressors and can't understand why this country can't/won't join the rest of the civilized world and legalize (and recommend their use) everywhere. Muzzle break? Nope, not for me, ever. I don't like hunting with guys who use them. Use a smaller gun. The number of people who can actually shoot magnums well is way smaller than the number of people who think they shoot them well.
The long application period and initial tax fee for a suppressor law isn't in the best interest of the public. The law should be changed. I also avoid hunters using a muzzle brake. The way I've hunted in Idaho for 40+ years, most elk or white-tail shots have to be taken asap. I welcome suppressors at a range or in the field.

Your Q: "What ballistics are better in a 1:9 300prc?"
Berger's answer: According to the Berger twist rate calculator, . 30 cal bullets weighing 220grs or more are marginally compromised with a 1:10" twist. There are also .30 cal monolithic bullets that perform poorly in 1:10" twist barrels.
Maybe a should have been more clear. There's nothing superior about a 1:9 300PRC ballistically to a 1:8 7wsm when the 7wsm is shooting a .749 g1 BC at 3,020 fps....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.