Caliber choice for 600 yards

Without a doubt 300 WinMag is king but you have to be a beast to be able to shoot it ie big, strong, young etc etc. or a masochist
As Jud said, a good brake makes all the difference. I just put 40 rounds through mine (a hunting weight rifle) a few days back with no problem, and I wouldn't claim to have an excess amount of any of those manly attributes you mentioned.😁

i would have to see it ( shoot it ) to believe it. Logically, the recoil is proportional to the mass being
accelerated if the speeds are the same. So if you subtract approx 70 gr of powder from the bullet plus powder mass, I dont see it equaling the mass of a 243. Maybe to a 7mm or 30-06 level etc. Well not all of the powder is subtracted because ALL of it is not exhausted to the side instead of forward. Tho you bring up a good point about recoil. So now you trade breaking your shoulder for breaking your eardrums. Really that brings back another long time desire of mine and that is adding suppressors to my guns.

I would suggest 280 Ack Imp rifle, 140 Grain Accubond or 155 Federal Edge TLR, great brass w/Nosler. I have a Kreiger barrel, Borden action, Leupold scope, Jewell trigger & McMillian action. I have shot over 250 animals w/shot kills from 100 yards out to 800 yards. Its all about shot placement. If you get a bind, you can always shoot 280 or 280AI store bought rounds. Never look back
Graff and sons has petersons brass for 280AI for $1.00 each. Just picked up a 280AI going to be interesting getting started.

I am going to do a new build and was after some help.
The rifle would be used for game to 600 yards (self imposed limit) up to the occasional Elk.
It will be built on a stiller predator action, carbon wrap or #4 fluted stainless at 26 inches. Don't want it too heavy.
Manners thumbhole stock, trigger tech trigger at around a pound. I already have a Swarovski Z6 3-18 bt.
My question is caliber and projectile?
I have it down to 7mm WSM or 300 PRC. Accubond, Edge tlr, Barnes.
Any thoughts or imput would be greatly appreciated.

Don't complicate it unnecessarily, pick one and go for it. It is not going to be your last build.

Last edited:
I'd take my lightweight Husky in '06 with a nice 1"+ cushy sissy-pad, a straight-recoil stock, a comb that pulls the rifle off my cheekbone, and a suppressor. If you cut the muzzle blast, you'll find you can tolerate a lot more recoil. And if recoil is properly managed (in part, by stock design) it will almost disappear from your vocabulary.

take 300prc buy a proof barrel in 7mm fit togun 3020 fps w/berger 195 grn 75.5 h1000 mag primer buy die blanks an die reamer fromptg good to go

Wear hearing protection? Whether a 300WM is braked or not, every time you shoot it without hearing protection you damage your ears.
What? I'm of the generation that grew up without muzzle brakes or hearing protection. I have shot the magnums and been near them when one is fired during hunting, and my hearing's fine. On the range, I do wear them.

What? I'm of the generation that grew up without muzzle brakes or hearing protection. I have shot the magnums and been near them when one is fired during hunting, and my hearing's fine. On the range, I do wear them.
You can tell yourself your hearing is fine, but it's a known fact firearms damage your ears. So whether it has a muzzle brake or not it still damages your ears.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.