Caliber choice for 600 yards

300 WinMag is good for anything around here (add .375 for big bears and Africa) and don't look back. Ammo everywhere. If the political climate shifts, common rounds are your friend. Or, if your baggage is lost and you have to buy ammo in a hardware store.

I am going to do a new build and was after some help.
The rifle would be used for game to 600 yards (self imposed limit) up to the occasional Elk.
It will be built on a stiller predator action, carbon wrap or #4 fluted stainless at 26 inches. Don't want it too heavy.
Manners thumbhole stock, trigger tech trigger at around a pound. I already have a Swarovski Z6 3-18 bt.
My question is caliber and projectile?
I have it down to 7mm WSM or 300 PRC. Accubond, Edge tlr, Barnes.
Any thoughts or imput would be greatly appreciated.
As much of a .30 cal fan as I am, I'd build that in 7mm WSM. Just a blistering fast flat as hell shooter ya can't go wrong with.

i would have to see it ( shoot it ) to believe it. Logically, the recoil is proportional to the mass being
accelerated if the speeds are the same. So if you subtract approx 70 gr of powder from the bullet plus powder mass, I dont see it equaling the mass of a 243. Maybe to a 7mm or 30-06 level etc. Well not all of the powder is subtracted because ALL of it is not exhausted to the side instead of forward. Tho you bring up a good point about recoil. So now you trade breaking your shoulder for breaking your eardrums. Really that brings back another long time desire of mine and that is adding suppressors to my guns.

My go-to Rig is a .300 WM custom build with a 5" suppressor on a 22" barrel. I lost a bit of velocity, but a few more clicks doesn't really make any difference on a 190 HVLD bullet and it's still easy to carry in the trees. Recoil is sooooo mild for a big gun. It's big for pronghorn & deer but they've never complained. It's a well-balanced round with plenty of gas for elk out to 800-1000 yards. Brass & components are easy to find and it was pretty simple to tune a load that does .3" at 100.

Keep it simple. As has been said, there's nothing wrong with a 7mm Rem Mag, 280 AI, or even .28 or 30 Nosler. I'm not a big fan of the short mags.

7wsm is a wicked awesome round. You can fire form 300wsm norma brass or prepare to be disappointed by hornady and Winchester or dig around and maybe find some nosler brass (ive has great luck with nosler) but I have about 600 new pieces of new nosler 7wsm brass which should last the life of this and my next barrel.

I've had 162s @ 3190 FPS and 180s @ 3020 FPS with rl23 in a 26" tube on a sako short action. Loads have no pressure and single digit ES. Hard to beat that kind of performance from a short action.

Almost any cartridge would work for what your asking of it. Personally I'd want a cartridge that's pretty flat for hunting. I'd go with a 6.5 prc. 140's at 2950 is about perfect. Mild recoil, decent barrel life, plenty of bullet weight for even elk when needed.

My go-to Rig is a .300 WM custom build with a 5" suppressor on a 22" barrel. I lost a bit of velocity, but a few more clicks doesn't really make any difference on a 190 HVLD bullet and it's still easy to carry in the trees. Recoil is sooooo mild for a big gun. It's big for pronghorn & deer but they've never complained. It's a well-balanced round with plenty of gas for elk out to 800-1000 yards. Brass & components are easy to find and it was pretty simple to tune a load that does .3" at 100.

Keep it simple. As has been said, there's nothing wrong with a 7mm Rem Mag, 280 AI, or even .28 or 30 Nosler. I'm not a big fan of the short mags.
What's your speed with that 22" barrel?

You can get great performance with the 280ai. It is a 7mm round too. 😀 Plus, it is just plain cool.
My plain ol' .280s (26" barrels) achieve 3040 with 140s and 2925 with 160s... without pushing them hard (accubonds).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.