Caliber change........HELP!

As far as smith's i have experience with GA Precision and J M Penrod. Mark (J M) is a very nice guy and helpful. If you call he will be the guy answering.

What's wrong with the current barrel and more importantly caliber?

To ask it another way - what are you going to use it for? That will drive our suggestions on re-barrel options.

Some good answers in this thread - which the OP started 4 months ago...

Last edited:
I kinda wonder the same, I'd leave it as-is, maybe adjust handloads if a reloader. For the average TN deer hunting, I'd go with a smaller round, lighter gun, but that's me.

I know for some, deer hunting is sitting in a shooting box, covering a wide area. For that type, a heavier setup is just fine. For my style, a compact 20" gun is a favorite.

Alright guys. So I got a m70 win coyote .270wsm. I want to have it rebarreled. Who can I send it to? What cartridge, twist etc should I go with?
6.5 Remington Mag. PacNor whatever it takes to shoot up to the 140gr BT's

A couple of others have already asked what you will be using the rifle for and what game are you going after? That will help narrow it down. Looking at your avatar, I'm assuming you reload. If that is true, I would suggest the 6.5 Sherman Short with a 1:7.5 barrel. That will push the 6.5 heavies over 3000 fps. If you already have dies for the .270 WSM, keep it and throat it for longer bullets. If you don't reload, keep it a .270 WSM or rechamber to a 6.5 PRC.

Alright guys. So I got a m70 win coyote .270wsm. I want to have it rebarreled. Who can I send it to? What cartridge, twist etc should I go with?
Great caliber. Not a great deal to be gained by rebarreling. Merry Christmas
Give Mike Bryant a call. https://bryantcustom.com/