Caliber & Bullet...really 2 posts in 1 lol

SBruce,
thanks for your post it was a good read! If going after p-dog I usually am with my dad and uncle who both live in UT. We take a drive over to WY and hunt on public land there. Wind can be considerable some days as I'm sure you know. I might go with a 6x47 Lapua with another donor action I can find cheap and try the 87 VMax or 88 Berger varmints or something similar. I probably won't do the build until next year so I am sure I will change my mind plenty between then and now lol Thanks for all the input guys!

Yeah picking the caliber can be the most frustrating and fun part of a build. You a little of this... without sacrificing that... but your really want this!!!:D You can see how this becomes and addiction. My cousin has changed his mind about caliber about 15 times in the last two months trying to put together his next rifle. He'll text me, "I have chosen my caliber, and you can't change my mind.:rolleyes:" Well you can see where this is going. If you have a year to wait on your build, take your time and do plenty of research. There are a ton of resources out there to look at. Start with this sight (which you have already done), then go to 6mmbr.com. They have some really good articles there. They can be a little hard to find, but they are there. Going to shootingtimes.com and they have good articles there. Have fun, your head should hurt by the end of the month!!!:D

Tank

Greywolf18,

I am going to take you in another direction. I have had 2 6mmAI they do great, but barrels don't last long. I have gone to the 6BR and 6BRX ( 6BR IMP). I can run a 70 gr bullet at 3500f/s in the Br and 3700 f/s in the 6BRX. Barrel life is great. And you can't touch accuracy with any thing. I have one shot kill on VA groundhog past 600 yds and friends have them past 750 yds.

Mark Schronce

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.