Caliber and scope for a new long range hunting rifle

More mud for the water 300 wsm. Build it on an intermediate action and shoot 200's at 2850-2950. Remember 300 PRC is 3.600 OAL vs 3.34 for win mag. Not an issue if you take it into account when you build but worth noting. I have a Zeiss V4 and wish I had just saved up and gotten the V6. Tracking is good but glass is meh over ~14x in my book

Im beginning a new build and wanted advice on caliber for a long range hunting rifle .

300 win mag vs 300prc

Zeiss v6 vs Nightforce

There are a Bagillion choices out there! Moving away from Zeiss and NF, I own them both, latley some quality new commers have come to market that are really great. Take a look at Tract optics. Amazing product, have one and love it. As for caliber, 300 prc is great, 300 win is as well and more commonly available.

300 win mag for sure, the newer calibers are great, but let's say your ammo gets lost for what ever reason you can go to any store anywhere and buy more shells with the 300 win mag. With the other 2 your lost. Both scopes are great as well, but I would go with huskemaw , they have very good glass just range the target , dope the wind, turn the turret and shoot . I have 3 huskemaws and shoot at least 150 times a month out to 900 yds. Friends are amassed every time we go to the range with how well the scopes work. Just my 2 cents

The finishing touches on my gun should be done this month, I was in the same boat as you and went with the 300 win mag seeing as it is the tried and true option. It will be topped with the nightforce atacr 4-16.

Im beginning a new build and wanted advice on caliber for a long range hunting rifle .

300 win mag vs 300prc

Zeiss v6 vs Nightforce
[/QUOTE
For hunting, consider the ammo availability issue. Whether you reload or shoot factory, most of us have lost that last box of ammo or decided we needed a different weight bullet for an unanticipated opportunity. WM has legacy of being a trusted killer with universal ammo availability.....yes, even in Two Dot, MT.......as beat to death on another thread. PRC is the fansy schmansy new kid on the block. Good ballistics and catchy glitz, but severely limited ammo availability in many hunting venues. WM will do anything you should want within ethical hunting ranges.
Scopes...for hunting, I go NF with their "can't beat 'em too hard" legacy. For me, they are the Timex of scopes..."They take a lickin, and keep on tickin'." A great warranty is worthless in the field...only after you've messed up a hunt and get back to civilization do warranties come into play....sorta like a cop in a self defense situation.

My last gun was the most I ever spent ended up going with a 28 nosler put a Swarovski X5I 5-25X56.
If I was going with a 30 cal. I would look at the 30 nosler and still go with the swarovski X5I 5-25X56

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.