Caliber and best factory rifle for Whitetail deer - NC

Seekins makes great rifles. I have one in 6.5 PRC that shoots lights out. For what you are looking for, I would go with the Seekins Havok PH2 in 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, or something similar.
Yes, that would help some with the recoil too, since I won't be doing a muzzle brake. I guess all of us tend to want to over do it sometimes and the 6.5 PRC probably isn't any advantage over what I will be doing compared to the 6.5 CM or .308. Also, ammo is easier to find for those. Just want something that is flat since I will be just holding over at 350 yards if I shoot that far. It's good to hear you love the Seekins, just have to find one now, that isn't easy.

Do you reload?…. 6.5 PRC is not a common round.

7mm-08 or a 308 should fit you well…. and you have plenty of energy at 500 yds to take a deer or an elk. I do think a larger wound channel makes a difference.

I am a Tikka/Sako fan and those rifles like the factory ELDX ammo. The Tikka must put 3 rounds and the Sako 5 rounds under a minute before leaving the factory.

My 7mm is a McWhorter but you do not need a rifle like that for what you are doing.
I don't reload, that's why I need to be able to always find factory ammo. I know nothing about the Tikka rifles buy everyone says they shoot great and are very reliable. I need to find one and see how it feels before buying anything. Yeah, no need for a McWhorter for me, those are great, but my 7mm is a custom build and it's just more than I need. I will keep it, but I just need something practical for what I do.

Live in NC and have hunted here since 1980. 95% of my shots are 175 yards or less...most of those closer to 100 yards.. I have found the 7-08 hard to beat. 120, 139 and 140 grains all work well for NC Deer. The 7mm Bullet is one of my favorites, with plenty of weight choices.
I'm now 55 and I like the softer shooters...my go to Rifle is now the 6.5 Grendel with a 120gr Nosler. If I lived in the Flat Lands, where 300+ yard shots mite be found, I'd pull the 7-08 out....and maybe the 7 Mag.
Find a Rifle you like, in about any Caliber, and you can knock out NC Deer. I've seen people use 7 Ultra Mags down to 22-250.....they get the same results. Most of all, ENJOY IT !
Great information, thank you, and yes, the most important thing is to ENJOY it and feel fortunate to be able to do it.

If you are going 6.5 Creedmoor, I have the Bergara HMR with a 24 inch barrel it is a bit heavy but not bad, but extremely accurate out of the box. I let my daughter shoot it when she goes with me, and I shoot my other 6.5 in an AR. Let us know what you decide on.

The world has changed a lot in the last 24 months. Buy 1 gun / caliber that will do it all in North America. You never know if you will want to big game hunt out west for elk , bear or moose in Canada at a later date. Go with a bolt gun it's good to - 35 below or more , bolt gun you can hunt with in Canada. If it was me buy a Savage 30.06 or 7mm. You can get new ammo easier than other calibers an you can buy some older factory ammo sometimes at auctions or even have a better chance borrowing 5 or 6 shells to finish a hunt in a emergency. Don't over think it. MD

I think the 257 weatherby and the 25-06 are both pretty hard to beat. I have a Vanguard s2 in .257 weatherby mag and it's shooting in the .3"s with 100gr tsx going around 3700fps. It shoots super flat and hits hard

Sorry. Boys. I can't help it so please allow me. My suggestion would be exactly what I'm about to use on white tail deer in North Carolina. I think the Weatherby ultralight rifle 5. And 3/4 pounds chambered in 270 Winchester is an absolute deer slayer. The Rifle has a full 24 inch fluted stainless steel thin barrel. And the 270 caliber is absolutely excellent on deer out to 500 yards. Factory ammo is usually and generally available at every place from Walmart to Cabela's or bass pro. This was earlier today at the 200 yard range at Cherry Ridge in North Jersey

Attachments

• EAC11ADB-47DC-4F22-9F28-F5590FD03FA9.jpeg
    EAC11ADB-47DC-4F22-9F28-F5590FD03FA9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
I'm looking at the Seekins PH2 or one of the Bergara's for a deer hunting rifle. I'm open to other manufacturers as well, these two just seem to be highly reviewed. I'm leaning towards a 6.5 PRC, but a 7mm magnum might be more practical for ammo availability. I have a 7mm magnum and it's a great caliber for hunting, just though a short action might be good to have for a change. I'm a hold over shooter, I don't need to do MOA adjustments for 1000 yards for anything. Normally I shoot from 100-500 yards. I'd say 250-300 yards would be more normal. I appreciate any suggestions on caliber or manufacturer. Rifle weight doesn't matter much because I just carry the gun to a box stand, maybe walk 500-600 yards. I also do not want a muzzle break, bad on the ears when hunting. So recoil might come in to play for caliber selection, or maybe a heavier rifle. Thanks for any help.
Have a look at what Mauser has to offer. Some of the best and most accurate rifles ever made. I have an M18 which is the cheap of the cheap and I can hit a lemonade bottle at 1000y in 300 win mag.

SEEKINS if you dont want to spent that much a tikka would be a nice choice or a Howa or Vangaurd are also nice selections with a little bedding and a trigger change they seem to shoot great
I have a howa and while it shoots alright I wasn't overly impressed with the action. It's loud and not on par with a bergara or tikka.